Early Season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by tnts79, Sep 21, 2007.

Opening week, what do you do??

Poll closed Oct 21, 2007.
  1. Hold out for a Big Buck

17.1%
  2. Shoot a Doe

60.0%
  3. Shoot the first deer you see regardless

5.7%
  4. If its brown its down

17.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

What do you do???

2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I really don't know, I need to exterminate some does off our farm, but I kinda want to hold out for a nice buck.:noidea:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

well you are missing "Shoot a big buck if you see one". I would drop a shootable buck in the first week without a doubt. Antler stew tasted like crap but it tastes better then Tag Mush!

I would pass on a small 5 (3 to one side AR in my area) but I would drop a good sized 6 on opening day if I saw one. A doe is down if she is a good size on opening day as well.

4. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Just making that decision, what if you don't shoot that nice doe, mabey a nice buck will be following her?? :Cry: Here in IL., on our farm 130" is minimum. After some of the trail pics i've gotten im kinda thinking it would be worth holding out for a buck. :dance:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2007
  5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I have another 2 months to shoot him including the rut... :) Personally I'd love to drop a nice 100+ pound doe on opening night as I then have plenty of meat for the season and can be more selective.

6. Dens228

Dens228 Senior Member

First one is for the freezer.
    After that I hold out, although I've been accused of being too picky by some of my buddies.

7. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

Shoot a Doe I'm hungry

8. ilbowhunter

ilbowhunter 2008 BEAR LIGHTS OUT

what to do

this is my first year of hunting anything, so i want the big one or nothing.:peace: :laugh: :loco: :eyebrows:

9. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I'm thinking thumpin a doe opening day would be worth doing!

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

I do not hunt for trophy's I want the meat, that is why I checked the brown thing If the deer is big enough the in the cold box it goes. You all may think I am crazy but if I kill a 14 pointer I would take photos and that is it. I do not care about mounts and things like that. For all it is enjoying the hunt,for some it is the trophy and some it is the food.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2007
  11. Bob V

Bob V Junior Member

Doe first couple of weeks in but then wait for the big guy.

12. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

A doe if she doesn't have spotted fawns w/her.I try to hold out till the later part of oct/1st of nov for a buck unless it's 6pt or bigger (not a lot of big bucks where i hunt..few and far inbetween) .I would like to take a buck in velvet though....never have done it.

13. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Ditto for me.

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Usually a doe, but if I see a shootable buck he's going down...
    So the first one I see is the first one I harvest...:biggrin1:

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Dont know!

Depending on the situation! I didnt vote.
    If i use my Recurve ill shoot a doe without fawns.
    Havent shot a doe in 3 years.
    If ive use my compound, Bucks only.:biggrin1:

16. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

Same for me!

17. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I voted hold out for a big buck, I have doe tags so no need to shoot a smaller buck, may as well shoot a doe. No need to get in a hurry to fill them. Will wait for the last few days of season for doe hunting

18. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

If you wait until the last few days of season to shoot does your not just taking that deer, your taking the next years fawn as well..... :doh:

19. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

i tell everyone im goin to hold out for a big buck but i usually end up stickin a doe

20. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I shoot the first good doe that I see. You cant eat horns, besides there are alot of does where I hunt. This gives me the rest of the season to hunt bucks.:rockon: