Easton axis ST 400 9.8 gpi arrows

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Dan Lipinski, Mar 16, 2008.

1. Dan Lipinski

Dan Lipinski New Member

Recently purcchased a 70 lb. 29 " draw Mathews switchback XT set up with five 400 Easton Axis ST arrows 9.8gpi. I've never used carbon arrows before and need to purchase new field points and broadheads. Several questions.
    #1 From what I've gotten off of the charts I believe I should be using a 100 grain point for these shafts. If this is correct I'd appreciate any suggestions on preferences for field points and broadheads. #2 If I have the opportunity to hunt elk in the future will this arrow weight be heavy enough for penetration or will I need to go to a heavier setup?
    Dan

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

How long are your arrows ?

Arrow length + peak draw weight + brace height + draw length + point weight kind of sort of = correct arrow spine. I have a similar setup using a Bowtech Allegiance at 69#, 29" draw and Axis arrows at 29" with a 100 grain points/expandables. My arrows hit with devastating results. I use Saunders buldge points for practice/3D and NAP Spitfire expandables for hunting. I do not re-tune the bow in between shooting points vs. Spitfires. They shoot the same as far as my experience has been.

Hope that helps and welcome to the forum. This is a good place to get advice. I think... :bowl:

Ron

3. Dan Lipinski

Dan Lipinski New Member

Easton Axis 400 arrows

Ron,
    My arrows are 27 3/4" long.
    Dan