ethical shot range

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by phillip, Apr 25, 2007.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

hello out there,
    Im new to bow hunting, and when i say new i mean i have only been shooting for 6 months.
    I shoot every day, im consistant at 40 yards. but if i was abel to get consistant at 50, or even 60 yards would that be an ethical shot? what I mean is, what kind of penatration could i expect from a carbon arrow, 60 pound bow, and mechanical broad head at those kind of ranges on whitetail deer?

Thanks for any help
    Phillip

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Ethical means something different to everyone.....I have been hunting and shooting for the last 15 years...... I will not shoot at a deer more than 30yrds, in the woods were I hunt, too many things can go wrong in even 30 yrds....it is only amplified at longer distances......to me the idea of bowhunting is not only to take an animal w/stick and string....but to also get them as close as possible and still close the deal......that is my opinion

3. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I wouldn't take a shot over 40 yds. which I have only done twice. all the others were 20yds are less. if you have to take a 50-60 yard shot,your probably not hunting right. or stand is in wrong place. as for penetration it would probably go Thur the deer if you got a good hit in the heart,lung area

4. Sammy PSU

Sammy PSU Member

Big factors are wind, trees, and anything else in your way. Saplings are pretty much impossible to see after 30 yards and the slightest deflection and you have a gut shot deer that you would never find. I dunno about anyone else, but if I saw Bullwinkle at 50 yards and a clear shot, it would be awfully tempting to let one fly if I felt I could connect to the vitals. But to answer your question, most of the traditionalists do not think (nor do I except in rare circumstances) that past 30 yards is the right thing to do. Most would say the point of bow hunting is actually getting close as possible to the animal. With all that being said, I'm no expert.

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

My limit is 40 yards. i can group well past that but its to far, to many unknowns and way to long for the deer to jump the string.

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

20-30 yards is my range.
    With scent control, concealment, scouting/stand location you should be able to get 20-30 yards with no problem. You just need to do your homework...

My 2 cents...

Ron

7. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

20 yards and under are great. But my max is 30yards. If my hunting skills are not good enough to bring a deer in that close then I just sit back and enjoy the view. This is just me personally so do not think I am bashing anyone here for shooting at a deer at 40yards. But I do think some guys go beyond what they should. JMO:peace:

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I friend of mine got one right around 40 yards. I was standing right next to him when he got it. Bedding doe, perfect shot. The issue is that he's a die hard bowhunter and he's extraordinarily good at it. I'm probably average at best so I intentionally stay conservative.

Ron

9. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

All my kills have been 25 yards or less, but im confidant out to 40, and would take that shot on a deer only in ideal circumstances (deer calm/grazing, no wind, etc.) Like Bowman said, its different for everyone and depends on your skill level, so practice up! :biggrin1:

10. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I am in agreement with the majority here. I've been shooting compounds a little longer than you---try 34 years. I think the longer a person shoots the more he realizes that bowhunting is still a short range sport.

Practice is not hunting. On a range you have time to set up each shot and think about what you are doing. Hunting scenerios are quite different. Target angles may not be broadside. You sometimes get surprises by an animal and must draw, aim, and shoot without the advantage of thinking too much.

I'm pretty proficient with a bow, often times shooting sub2" groups at 40 yards, but averaging about 3 1/2" most of the time. Here again, no pressure and no adrenalin pumping. So whatever distance I can shoot 4" groups while practicing I cut in half for hunting, because, believe me, groups will open up. Of course we don't shoot groups in hunting situations. It's one and done usually, so that first shot must count each and every time.

My max distance? 30 yards for north eastern whitetails.

11. BOWTECHER

BOWTECHER Member

I will shoot out to 40 to 50 yds depending on my surroundings. However, I do know my limitations as well. I spend alot of time shooting from my portable stand in the woods behind my home. Learn your limitations as well and take in account the type of weather and your surroundings and you will know where you stand. You have all summer to practice keep taking advantage of it.

12. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

everyone has a different range. i try to keep my shots under 45yds i shot a coyote at 52 though. also it depends on where you are. i was in a field when i shot the coyote. in the woods after about 25-30 yds theres so many sticks u cant see so i think unless it was mr. big id keep it under 30. pratice pratice pratice

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I will take a shot out to about 45 yds. If weather condidtions is perfect. If the wind is low and theres no rain. I will normally shoot out to 40 yds. w/ no second thought. And if there was a nice buck at 45 yds, I'd have to make 100% sure that I can make the shot!!

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I would'nt shoot a mechcainal head at any range.
    As bowman said woods shorten it.

15. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

now smokes....i did not say anything about mechanicals.....I dont think there is anything wrong w/mechanicals....I just find my Muzzy's fly the best for me right now....

16. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

There ya go thinkin' lke a unit.
    I meant tha woods will for tha most part demand a shorter shot.

2 years ago a big ol spooky doe came in and looked where I had been set up 2 days earlier some 70 yards away . It was 38 yards ,rangefinder used, and I shot her, shore did fool her. It wuz a wide open shot.
    I practice out to 43 yrds from my stand at home.

All my shots range from 5 to 23 yrds. i like ta git em as close as possible.
    I have found if ya do that scent thing they will come in for tha eazy shot.

:smokin:

17. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I understood your post just fine smokes. Just did'nt have time to interpret it for bowman. I agree the woods shortens your effective range.:peace:

18. while I question the ethics involved, my cousin took a very nice mule deer at 81 yards and still got a pass through. so as for the penetration, with any of the newer bows you should be fine at this range. As for the long shot my cousin took, I wouldnt have done it but he is that confidant(?) in his shooting. plus it was the last day of season with dusk comming fast in the sage brush, so no woods.:noidea:

19. GANDEE

GANDEE Junior Member

30 yards for me

20. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

I feel very comfortable out to 30 and will not take a shot past that unless it is a wide open shot such as a picked cornfield, food plot, etc and I am able to put the rangefinder on the animal. I once had a deer at fifteen yards, shot and hit my coat sleave. The arrow went all wacky and nicked the deer in the neck. I was hunting the edge of a cornfield and after the bad shot he ran and stopped at the edge of the timber. I had previously ranged the exact trail where he was going to enter the woods and it was 40 yards on the nose. I knew the range was 40 yards and it was a wide open shot. Rung him up on the second shot. Rarely do I take a shot over 30. All 5 deer I shot this past season were 20 or under, right in my lap where I like them.