Expectations for "Custom" arrows?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Aug 15, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

So I recently ordered a dozen arrows and I had the "custom" made for a significant extra charge, the dozen was 109, by the time they were done "Making to my order" I think the bill was around 140 but I needed them so I ordered them.

So my question is what kind of expectations do you put on "made to order" arrows? Should they be reliable? How many shots before vanes start falling off or tips come out?

So far I've lost 2 tips, one was a partial pass through into a soft piece of plywood (its 1/2 rotten) the other was in a Morrel target bag when it was pulled out (they are not oversize tips). I've also already lost the vanes off 2 arrows and somehow they put the vane on 3 arrows on wrong.

The arrows are a little over a month old and haven't been shot heavily. Am I expecting to much of a "Made to Order" arrows?

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

what are the arrows made of? PVC?? sounds like those custom arrows are custom all right. Are they target arrows or hunting. Cause $140.00 for a dozen is cheap.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

custom being the place I ordered from cut to order, fletched and put the tips in. The shafts are PSE RadialX weave pros so they are a production shaft

4. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I would be calling customer service. They obviously need to ivest in some better glue!!

5. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I agree!! I shoot X WEave Pro's also. Have since they came out. And never had an issue like that. I have found That AEE Fast set gel works awesome on them. Havent had a vane pull or tear off the arrow.

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Moose's cause alot of damage also... :tape:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Wow, dredly, why don't you get yourself a fletching jig and some goat-tuff (cyanoacrilate) glue, vanes and fletch arrows yourself ?
    Most places (all places I know of) will cut shafts to your size and usually glue the inserts for free when you purchase them there.
    The only benefit to "custom" arrows is for the retailer who offers them and has people buy them. Less money in our pocket, more money in theirs.

Ron

8. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

sounds like to me they just didnt properly prep the shafts, or used cruddy glue, they pry wont do much about it, due to the fact they dont know what you have been doing with the arrows. I like to build my own, just for that reason, if it falls apart no one to blame but me.... Thats a bummer though to pay the extra and get crap. wish you luck!!

9. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

What they all said, Dredly it's really easy to fletch and you get them done right the first time. I don't like the way our pro shop fletches and I don't feel like paying that extra to have them done in a messy way. I always buy my arrows cut and then I just put in points and fletch...very easy.

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I do fletch my own and do my own inserts about 99% of the time. These were ordered just a few days before the R100 and I knew I wouldn't have time to build them and shoot them before the trip so I needed them pre-made

I've never ordered "made to order" arrows before though so I'm not sure if what I'm expecting is unreasonable or not... hence the question.

I use GoatTuff on my inserts and fletchings works great, apparently Lancaster doesn't.

**btw - they offered to fix their screw up with the vanes being put on wrong, this isn't about customer service, its about expectations and if I'm off on mine or not

11. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Stuff like this is why I started building my own arrows.....

Now when my vanes fall off and inserts get stuck in my target bag I can only yell at myself.:frusty:

12. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

Are these still the LAS arrows?????

13. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yup. :tape:

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Being in a rush explains a lot...
    Glad to hear that LAS will fix them though. I've purchased a few things there and their turnaround seems pretty good.
    They may use a non-CA based glue. I've had nothing but problems with non-CA based glues, expecially on vanes...

Ron

15. chelleo

chelleo Senior Member

Oh ok Dredly, thought you always had someone else make your stuff, I agree with Ronhop...maybe they don't use the Goat Tuff style of glue. I know our pro shop doesn't. They have very good customer service and yes I'm sure they will fix things up but that doesn't help much when you are having problems at a shoot or such. I had gotten some arrows and had the points glued in for me from Mountain Archery and a tip had come out in the target. I told them about it and they sent me a whole bag of tips for half price and that was with just one tip that fell out. They were upset that it even happened. I do most of my arrow business with them if possible. What is really sad is they know my voice when I call.:doh:

16. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

MTO Arrows: I would only do if it in a crunch for time (as in your case), as if there is something wrong with the workings of the arrow there is no one to blame but myself. So if vanes and inserts are coming out, I would be PO’d about it, but at the end of the day I feel if you want something taken care of right, take care of it yourself. And this is not to say that other shops and arrow builders can’t do it correctly… it’s just the best process for Quality comes from yourself. :noidea:

Since you got the arrows from LAS, I know they will stand by it and correct any issues you may have.

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

just wanted to add that you could have had everything you "special ordered" from the other shop, from me, I wouldnt have charged you extra and they would not be giving you these issues....:wave:

18. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, but then your points and vanes may not have pulled out or fallen off...
    What's the fun of that ? :biggrin1:

Ron

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

at least we wouldnt have to hear the :Cry: :Cry:

20. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Do your arrows come with a Mooseproof guarantee...:tape: