Exploding arrows!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Fury, Aug 28, 2006.

1. Fury

Fury Member

Well tried out 5 carbon arrows , CX Firestorms if I remember correctly.

Shot for about half an hour with great results, then one exploded on the bow.

Derailed my string guide, one part of the arrow in my arm, & two parts God knows where.

I don't think I like Carbon arrows.
    The arrow that blew on my bow was rated 30 - 50 lbs, & my Yamaha is shooting currently at 45 lbs.

PS: it was funny when my wife passed out after seeing the fletches of that arrow sticking out of my forearm.
    Still hurt like hell.

2. whitetail99

whitetail99 Senior Member

Pics???? You should test all carbon shafts before shooting and if you shoot at the same spot and arrows slap together test then every time you shoot them.

3. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Crap dude sorry to hear this. I hope everything is ok with your arm. I RH an arrow the other day and when I went to pull them I got just a sliver of carbon in my finger and it hurt like (well you know). It's a little late now but always flex your arrows before shooting them. Again sorry to hear about your misfortune buddy.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

hows the wife???

5. Fury

Fury Member

glass & gravel

Mary (my wife) got over it.
    I thought it was funny, but just for a moment.

I was just as shocked s she was.

After thirty some od stiches In & out I was shooting again the same day.
    Still pulling out fibers though.
    Doc said I will be for years , like glass, or gravel.

6. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

wow man that realy sux! do u no what happened? prolly of the arrows hitting each other on the target made that one weak. you gotta post some pics. i heard stories about it but not first hand. sorry to hear it man, hope it dont affect your shootin!

7. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Exploding arrows

Man this is scary. GT says flex before you shoot, but I wouldn't expect to have problems with brand new arrows. I've had to scrap a couple of GT 22's due to gouges in the side wall, but I put them there myself. Worked in a glas factory right out of high school. When glass slivers go in they work their way in deeper and come out someplace else. Hope carbon don,t do the same thing. Get well soon!

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

CALL UP CX!!! This isn't acceptable and unless you buried that arrow in a tree a few rounds before then this is a defective arrow and serious issue, potential lawsuit.

9. Allen

Allen Senior Member

The only time that happened to me was with one of the old Beman pultruded arrows. They were a great arrow to shoot, but one of them apparently fell off of the string just before release and the string smacked it jut behind the fletching.

There was an awful lot of blood, but surprisingly little pain. Maybe I was in shock?

And yes, it's been 3 years and I still get an occasional fiber.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Are you serious???? I have never heard this....thats crazy talk.....three years???? I guess I will be checking arrows a little more closely from now on....