Falling Apart

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Bhunte650, Dec 21, 2006.

1. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

So I am into the 5 week of league. The first 2 weeks were awsome. But! 3rd week was the worst. I practiced to long b-4 and by the time I was scoring my arrows could not even come close to the target. I started splitting x's but finished not hitting anything. So now I feel like I am bitten by the goose egg monster. My rounds all start out real nice but with the last 4 rounds of 5 I fall apart. Our league shoots the 5 spot (target for each arrow) scoring eighter a 5 or 4. 300 arrows.

Do I need to have a few beers b-4 I shoot?

Any advice or mental tweaks that I can do to be more consistant with my shooting?

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Holy cow man! 300 arrows? Thats your problem right there, thats like a marathon shoot.

3. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

Any one can shoot 1 good arrow, but whocan shoot consistantly 300 arrows.

Yea your shoulder can feel like jello at the end.

4. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

you do mean 300 arrows over a 5 week period dont you. if not "you da man"

5. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

WOW.........thats alot of arrows

We shoot 60 arrows with a possibility of 300 score. How long does it take to shoot 300 arrows in competition??? How many shooters do you have??

All I could say is where is the advil.:laugh:

Do not warm up as long before hand. I personally would find a smoother drawing bow for that many arrows. Are you shooting the trykon for spots?? I am not bashing your bow but it does have a harsh draw cycle. In my opinion.:noidea:

6. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

300? Hes got to mean 300 points, If not good luck in your adventure of not falling apart after 280, shots, geez id be done at 150 pry..... or 100..... or less..... If im shooting for score, or comp, ill only shoot 8 or 9 warm up shots.

7. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

After reading my post it is a little missleading. We shoot 60 arrows for a score of 300. Some nights it feels like 300. HAHA

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

oh okay that helps a bit haha :)

I would say your probably getting to excited!

Try this... have a friend or fellow shooter score and pull your arrows for you and not tell you the score or what round you are on... I bet you improve signfigantly. You'r getting the "Oh my god I'm gonna shoot a 290+" jitters.

9. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

So I went and shot again last night. Not Good! I bribed the shop keeper to do what you had said and pull the arrows for me and not tell me the score. Not that I could shoot any worse but yea it really didn't help. John didn't try and correct how I was shooting. To see if I was jerking the bow or slaping my realease. I don't know maybe being in a league isn't in my bag of tricks. :noidea:

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

time to revert to plan 2....

start drinking :)

11. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Don't go giving up on leagues yet! It is just something that you have to work through. I myself have fallen into a slump this year. But I am working through it. I tried to have someone pull my arrows and score me before and it worked for me, until I was shooting all 5's and X's so it isnt hard to do the math. It is all mental man, I pull my own arrows now because you have to stay on top of every shot, every shot has to count. I learned that from the guy that taught me how to shoot, He is a very good archer shoots 300 high 50x's with a pin. Try not warming up so much I try to shoot just five arrows if they are all good then I start scoring. I have been having so much trouble the last two weeks that I took in my hunting bow a Hoyt Trykon XL at 70# with axis FMJ arrows and shot the best score so far. I know I was having major equipment issues but I did not want to change my pin settings for field points on the bow I know that I shoot well with. Almost everything in this sport is all in your head. don't let yourself get worked up just do everything right and it will all fall into place.

P.S. I don't advise drinking before you shoot, do it after like me:biggrin1:

12. Bhunte650

Bhunte650 Junior Member

Thanks for the advice. I will keep my chin up!:cool:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

more perfect 300 indoor rounds are ruind by myself for over thinking the last shot......

heres what I mean.....So that shot you just shot out in the 4......you are going to fix it how???? well your not, so forget about it......you can only fix the next shot......the shot you are now on.....

14. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Bowman makes a good point. I used to screw up some 3D's thinking aobut the last shot. Now after it leaves the string and it did'nt go where I wanted I forget about it. There might be a small sigh and a quiet damn but thats it nothing you can do about it so concentrate on the next shot.