Feathers... Asking for info...

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Ronhop, Dec 25, 2007.

1. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thinking about trying a right helical fletch, 4" feather, for indoor 5-Spot that starts in a few weeks.
    I was at the shop yesterday and noticed that they had right wing and left wing feathers. I asked the guy there about it and he really didn't know (they had a real skeleton crew there yesterday)... So the question is do I use right wing for a right helical or left wing ??? I did buy the right helical Grayling clamp for $9 and some tape for fletching feathers but I held off on the feathers themselves. I've never used feathers myself so I have no clue really.

Ron

2. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

right wing for right helical, left wing for left helical. whether your right or left handed makes no difference. ...a right handed person can use left wing/helical and get the same accuracy as a right wing /helical...and visa versa for south paws.

3. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Thanks,

Yeah I knew right/left hand bow hand had no bearing but I wanted to be sure I bought the correct 'wing' vanes for the clamp I'm about to use.

Thanks bud, makes sense to me.

Ron

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

well thats just how i remember it being told to me, so I have heard it that way twice now.......must be something to it.......

if its wrong, then your not the only one to tell it to me wrong......

Ronny I would go with that.....:wave:

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, you can kind of tell that thre right wing feathers better closely follow the curve of the clamp... I'll be picking those up tomorrow...

Right it is, and if it turns out like cr*p then I'll post a rebuttal to the advice... :laugh:

Ron

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, you laugh now...
    I'll complain that you and Long Draw "steered" me in the wrong direction... :lol:
    You guys better hope your right... :lol:

Ron

8. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

This was copied off "Gateway Feathers's" site.

4. Left Wing or Right Wing

Inspect the clamps you use to build your arrows. Clamps marked with an RH indicates right wing helical, while LH indicates left wing helical. No marking on the clamp means you are using a straight fletch clamp and "wing" does not matter. Do not mix left and right feathers on a single arrow. One advantage to using right wing fletch is field points will tighten on impact with the target. If you're using left wing fletch, waxing the threads of your field points will stop them from loosening.

5. Identifying Left and Right Wing Feathers

Grasp the feather by its smooth, evenly ground base. Upon inspection, the "lip" on the base is on the rough side of your feather. Hold the feather so the rough side is facing away from you. Pull the feather web apart. Turn the feather, so when you stroke the webbing from the top down, the webbing comes apart. The direction the webbing is pointing, either left or right, is the wing of your feather. If the feather you are trying to identify is already on an arrow, hold the arrow and look down the nock end. If the base "lip" is on the left side of the webbing the feather is a right wing. Vise versa for left wing.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Awsome, thanks a lot MoSkeeter... Sounds like Bunnyboy and Long Draw are not at risk for a verbal lashing after all... :laugh:

Good info, thanks everyone.

Ron

10. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Yes right wing for right helix. For sure
    Because Chuck Norris said so!

11. deerkiller443

deerkiller443 Killen time

if you got a right one you will want to do the right ones because if you do the left ones they don't fly as well and they are really loud
    Trust me i got some that were done that way and you could here your arrow all the way to the target but you get great accuracy out of them:peace:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Ron

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

please dont encourage the peanut gallery...........:doh:

14. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Ron