First 3d shoot.

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by 62flint, Jul 15, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

Shot my first 3d shoot today. I shot with goochland archery club in virgina.
    Lot of fun. Seem like a decent bunch of folks. I did better than I expected I would do being first time out. This will not be my last shoot for sure.
    I felt like I could have done better if I knew where the scoring rings where. But since I never shot a 3d target before I just aimed for killing shot on a live critter and I did pretty well. Some of my shots where just a little low. Kinda depressing when I was 1/2 out of the 12 ring and I scored an 8. Oh well chalk it up to experiance and I will know better next time.
    I am thinking about my next shoot and maybe a target bow.................... you know I need another bow since I just have my 1 hunting rig...... what if my 1 bow breaks or something..... need a back up...... now I just need to sneak it past the wife. :laugh:

Last edited: Jul 15, 2007
  2. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Congrats on getting bit by the 3D bug. The first thing you want to do is get a ood set of binocs. Rotated targets, and odd kill zones will steal your points all day long. So always know where you need to place the arrow in advance.

P.S. Turkey hen targets are the devil.

JIM

3. 62flint

62flint Member

Any Ideas for the binos. I hava a small compact pair I use for hunting, but I could not make out the smaller rings,or the rings at all on darker targets.

I believe you bout the turkey hen. I shot a strutting gobbler face on today. I bet a hen target would be tuff.

4. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Dude! Half Out! You were "Half In"! You score the higher score just by touching the line at all. Sounds like you were shooting ASA vitals. IBO ones have a center "11" or "12" in the middle of the ten.

5. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

Send Big Country a PM, He is the bino master. Thats where I got my Vortex Binos.

Sniper, I thought he meant 1/2 in 1/2 out also, after I thouth about it more... I think he meant 1/2 inch.

Jim

6. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Don't know what he meant Jim. Just what he said. Still sounds like ASA vitals to me.

7. 62flint

62flint Member

I meant 1/2 inch out sorry for the confusion.
    I am not sure of the vitals. I heard so much differant stuff mentioned it would be a guess on my part to say. The vitals had an 8 ring kinda where the lungs would be. The 10 ring would be close to a heart shot and the 12 ring was either at 5:00 or 7:00 clock postion at the bottom of the 10 on a lot of targets. So if I shot a little low it would jump from a 12 to a 8 real quick.
    Either way I had a lot of fun. Good practice and hope to go again next weekend.
    I felt like I shot good today most of the arrows hit where I wanted them. I just wanted em in the wrong place for a 12 or 10 sometimes. :peace:

8. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

ASA vitals. I suggest you shoot for the center of the 10 for a while. Don't worry about the 12 (or 14) rings. Things will be challenging enough, and your skills will improve, as well as your scores.

9. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Welcome to the addiction of 3D archery! :rockon:

Hitting foam is about 3/4 of the battle for me... the other 1/4 is knowing where the vitals! :noidea:

10. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

Yep, I shot my second-ever shoot yesterday... I can see shooting's not gonna be the problem; it's going to be yardage estimation!! (and I'm going to have to discipline myself to shoot for center-10s and not go so much for those low 12s :biggrin1: )

Saw one of your stabs out on the course, Jim... kinda suprised me you'd made it to Southeast Missouri!

11. jimposten

jimposten Senior Member

I have sold at least 30 sets to missouri, One of my most popular states.

:rockon:

JIM

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, exactly...
    You break the line and you score the higher ring.

Glad you had fun. This stuff is absolutely addicting.

Ron

13. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,62flint

Fort lee, this sunday 29th
    You want to go its 30miles from me!
    Pm me if ya wanta!
    Ken:rockon:

14. 62flint

62flint Member

Oh yeah I am going to be there. If I can get away from the wife.:biggrin1:
    Just look for the redneck, shooting the trykon with white wraped arrows and brite blazer vanes. Let me shoot first and you will have something to aim at. :D
    I just got my little girl a bear cub bow. So she might come with me. She really seems to like flingin arrows.
    C ya there:peace:

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ill be there!

I will be there!
    I shoot a red PSE-baby-G
    And i where a camo hat with PSE archery
    Be there around 9am!
    I shoot white tiger blazers with white wrap
    you can shoot mine to!:usa:

16. 62flint

62flint Member

Pse .......hmmmmmm
    Do I need saftey glasses? Doesn't that stand for Parts Scattered Everywhere or something like that? :lol:
    Looking forward to meeting you.

17. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Yeah it's addictive!!!! My son and I just shot our first bigger shoot (R100)

We are already looking for people in our area to start shooting with. Good luck and keep it fun.:biggrin1:

18. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Pse!

No not yet, never had a PSE blow up on me,& never heard of one blowing up on any one.
    I have had 2 hoyt pro hunters break at the risor, A high country sniper blow a limb and a reflex break an axle in half.
    I work on bows ive seen it all in the past 25years!
    See ya!:peace:

19. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

Should have mentioned this before. If you go to the Rinehart Targets site they have printable images of the targets with the scoring clearly indicated. Both IBO and ASA are available. Sometimes visualizing the scoring areas are not clear even with optics, due to light conditions, range, or target condition. 3Rd hand makes a scorecard holder with outlines of the animals from Delta and Mckenzie on it, and sets of cards with pictures of McKenzie targets with the scoring clear are also available.

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Its Today!

MY bad the fort lee is today im heading out now!
    Got the dates mixed up sorry!:frusty: