First bow setup questions

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Krispy, Nov 13, 2006.

1. Krispy

Krispy Junior Member

Just trying to get an idea of a decent compromise setup for a dual purpose Target/3D hunting setup.

I have never shot bows in the past and am right hand/left eye dominant, so having bought the bow I'm committed to learning lefty. I'm about 220 with a 30" draw.

The bow is a used LH 39/40" 70# CSS challenger. I am planning to take it to a local archery shop for new strings and setup.

I went kinda cheap on the bow to save money for accessories. I'm pretty much (ignorantly)set on the Vital Bow Gear Vital Drop rest and Vapor Trail strings. But I haven't figured out what sight or stabilizer to get yet.

Any recommendations for setup or accessories that will make the bow shoot smoother or be more forgiving?

Thanks
    -Chris

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

smoother and more forgiving?????

let me think about it.........get and STS.....

3. Krispy

Krispy Junior Member

I was looking at that, but I wasn't sure if the brand made a difference. Does STS seem to perform better than some of the other brands?

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Welcome!!

For a sight if you want a slider look at HHA. Or a fixed pin maybe spot hog, or copper john. It's difficult to suggest accessories, They are what makes your bow "your bow". Ask the shop if they will let you test drive a couple of sights?

As for the stabilizer Doinker A bomb is a nice hunting stabilizer. Try to keep it under 12" That way you are still in the 3D "Hunter class". Or even a Limbsaver S-Coil?

I guess the best advice is to try and test drive what you can. If the shop has a spot to shoot they will usually let you try stuff out.

5. yetibowtech

yetibowtech Staff Shooter Uncle Bob's

man I don't want to be the hater but the bow is the bow and there ain't much you can buy to change that.