First experience with compound

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by khel, Nov 17, 2007.

1. khel

khel Junior Member

Well, I've finally got my first compound - used Mathews Ovation 60lb (have been shooting only traditional before that).

So, I pull it out of the box, check it out to the best of my knowledge, draw a couple of time - everything looks great. Of course I'm eager to try it out.

I put on Flipper II arrow rest, knock an arrow that most closely matches the needed spine, step 5 yards from the target and trying to shoot......

....the arrow drops on a floor 1 feet in front of me, as I hear a whizzing sound of cable and smell of something burning.... "Just @#$@ great" I think, "I've managed to screw up bow on a first shot @#$@!"

On closer examination, everything looks fine, no cracks or such. The problem is - the string came off the wheel on upper limb, and there's no way that I can put it back manually :( Now, I have to wait until monday, drive to mathews dealer to have it checked, and probably spend more $$$.

I'm not quite sure what caused it, but I suspect that knock was not tight enough.

So, now, I'm thinking, maybe it was a bad idea on my part trying to switch to compounds. With traditional - I can fix anything at home without bow press or any other tools, though there's not much that can break in the first place. I can make a string myself in 30 min etc. And with compound - I can do nothing..:Cry: :Cry: :Cry: :Cry:

Just venting out....

p.s. shooting the #$@ out of the target with my longbow helped a bit, but I still feel frustrated.

Nick

2. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

don't give up that easy. you should at least shoot a group before you decide that you dont like compounds

And :welcome: to 3d shoots

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I shoot an Ovation as well. You MAY have dry fired the bow if the arrow wasn't knocked correctly.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am thinking thats not very good.......:noidea:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Man!

That dont sound good.
    Ive seen a guy in a tournament come out with a mathews that had jumped off the cam.
    But ive never noticed a bow make a smell.:noidea:

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Thats one smokin' bow:laugh:

7. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I have experienced this type of smell before found out the screw that held the draw module on was about to fall out....Tightened it up and that was it...

8. khel

khel Junior Member

Well, I've finally had it checked!

Everything is fine and I'm really happy about it (though string had to be reserved.)

Now, considering that it's impossible to do any work on it without special tools, the real question is - what do you do when you are going on a hunting trips, say to another state or country? Just take 2 bows? Or portable bow press and spare parts?

Also, I would really like to be able to work on a bow myself, so, a link to a good book or video would help a lot :)

Thanks

Nick

9. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

It's easier just to keep a backup bow with you just in case. It never fails that something happens when you are going to go hunting and you don't have the equipment or the part you need to fix it. I am not sure if Mathews has any video's for working on there bows or not BUNNYMAN can probably answer that though. Different Bows require that you press them differently make sure you do your homework before you start.

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Acctually the MATHEWS forum website has a ton of tuning info on there....

I amazed at the amount of info they give out over there......:noidea: