Fletching 3 Vrs 4

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Mathews Man, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

What real advantages do you get from flecthing 4 vrs 3 vanes. I am thnking of going to 4 mini Blazers over my 3 2in blazer set-up. Let me know what you think.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

33% more fletching time and expense than 3 vanes. I dont know if you'll get 33% better arrow flight. are you having broadhead tuning troubles?

3. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I shoot X-cutters and with the fat shaft. I thought that 4 minis would be a better choise with the fat shaft. The 2 in blazers are ok I would just like a little more clearance.

4. J.C.

J.C. New Member

what the heck, give it a try. trying different setups is part of the fun.....:peace:

5. red44

red44 Senior Member

Clearance with the cables and riser is the advantage IF your tight with the normal 3 fletch odd vane up pattern.

6. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

I shoot odd vane out but it is still a little tighter than I would like. 4 vanes helps this issue?

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Good question I think since I have never seen anybody use a 4 vane fletch. I would assume you would get a little better arrow flight but might have some rest clearance issues. This is a good post to discuss I think....

Ron

8. red44

red44 Senior Member

Your tight to the cables odd vane out? A standard 90 degree 4 fletch pattern would look like an X if viewed from the nock when on the string.
    I shoot feathers frequently and on a few bows, using a 3 fletch pattern, odd vane up or down, will put the one feather into the cables on draw-back. Using the same feathers, but in a 4 fletch pattern, they clear. Now, I do use drop aways, so fletch clearance with the rest is not an issue.

9. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What about cable abd riser clearance though ? Drop aways fix a lot of clearance issues with a 3 fletch but the bow itself can still be a problem with the inside of the riser and the stuff hanging around there....

Ron

10. red44

red44 Senior Member

In the quote. Cable and riser clearance for the feathers is better with a 4 fletch pattern than with a 3 fletch odd vane up or down.

11. Mathews Man

Mathews Man Foam Killer

well knowing that mini blazers are.4 height vrs .6 I would think it would be alot eaiser to matian no contact with riser and cables. And if the 4 fletch has a X look to it that sounds even better. IMHO.