fletching problems

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by diamond-vic., Aug 14, 2006.

1. diamond-vic.

diamond-vic. Senior Member

hey guys, i shot my newley fletched arrows today and i had a little problem. at first they were shooting amazing. super tight groops. then around my tenth or fifteenth shot the fletchings started to tear on them. i thought i was using a generous amount of glue and getting a good seal. im using duravanes and bohning fletchtight platinum.

all coments welcome..

-Chris

2. diamond-vic.

*** i fletched them the night before***

3. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

DId you put a dab of glue on the end of the fletching when you were finished? It does help. Make sure the shaft is good and clean before hand also.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Yup exactly what he said! also, if you put on to much glue it can be bad as well.

The reason for the dab of glue is to keep the flat part of the fletching from catching and tearing the vein off, it makes the arrow slide in easier.

btw: where were the veins tearing off at? The reason I ask may be dumb but...

1. If they are tearing off in flight or at release they may be catching the cables or the rest

2. If they are tearing off when going through the target (pass through) then you need a new target

3. if they are tearing off because they are passing partially though the target up to the fletching then try pushing them back out the way they went in instead of pulling them through

also, are you using arrow wraps or fletching right to the shaft and is it always the same vein coming off or is it all of them? Can you pull the vane off yourself without any effort or is it stuck on there good?

5. killbambidead

killbambidead bambi killer

if your using a wb that could do it too :biggrin1:

6. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

No, No, No, don't go there:Cry: :Cry: Take it back before Bowman see's it:scared:

7. diamond-vic.

1) im using a trophytaker drop away
    2) the fletchings are tearing off the saft at the back end of it (the fletching)
    3) im not using wraps.

i think it was not enouph glue on the ends.

also im haveing a realy hard time getting the glue of off the safts, it wont come off with arrow prep or acetone. i actualy have to scrape it of with a knife. any suggestions fer that one?

8. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Sure do!

get a good safety razor blade, its got a thicker metal piece on the back so your not cutting yourself but its easy to manage and scrape at a very slight angle to the arrow, don't really push down, the blade will do the trick and will take the glue right off!

Its actually easier to do then it sounds.

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

OH NO :doh: not a drop away thats your problem........fletching drops away from shaft :laugh:

Just kidding you definately need to get the shafts good and clean or the vane does not seal down correctly. I have been using a scotch brite pad on my shafts before fletching also then clean with thinner or acetone. Been working great. Good luck:peace:

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I am not going to say a word SO THERE..........

Gotta agree w/bowhnthoosier........................................................Scotchbrite pad works great........

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

What kind of fletching jig are you using ?
    Is the vane being held tightly against the shaft as the glue dries ?

I tried using an Arizona Archery straight carbon fletching jig with Easton Axis arrows in a pinch a few months ago and, guess what, I had the same problem. Arrows I fletched with my Bitzenburger clone jig were fine, same glue, same vanes. Turned out that the Arizona jig did not hold the vanes close enough to the shaft.

I use a utility knife with a 'carpet' blade in it to remove old vanes and glue. If you already have a utility knife the blades can be bought at Home Depot, etc... for about $1 each. The blades have a cut-out in them that closely match typical shaft diameter. Dredly is also right in that you should NOT push the knife blade against the shaft. Just let it 'ride' on the shaft with it's own weight and it will strip the old glue right off without damaging the shaft.

Just a thought or two.

Ron