FOBs, Blazers and Swhackers

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Tenderfoot, Jul 31, 2008.

1. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

My old forum imploded... everybody just left. So now I come to ya'll seeking advice. I was not the most satisfied with my entire bow-hunting set up last season(as evidenced by 2 bum shots of 3). I am capable of posting a 3'' group at 20 yards with field tips...so this is unnaceptable. I was using 4'' vanes and 85 grain thunderheads. Now I want to know if anybody has any experience with the products I wish to try this season. Swhacker broadheads(100 gr) look like a great idea...2 leading blades sneek through the hide/bone and then the larger blades deploy razor sharp once inside the lungs. I have so many unusable arrows because the fletchings always get destroyed and my cheap jig does not perform perfectly. So, should I try a better jig with helical capabilities, get my old shafts fletched with blazers for better broadhead stability, or use a jig-less method such as FOBs or shrink-wrap vanes?:dizzy:
    Feathers, maybe? Quick spin vanes? Helical blazers? Thanks for the help and advice, guys.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what arrows??

YES GET A BETTER JIG

THWAKER??? never heard of them....

3" at 20 yrds?? I suppose that good enough for deer hunting??:dizzy:

who does your bow tuning?? proshop??

fingers or release??

3. Captain19

Captain19 Grim Reaper of the Foam

I don't have any input to the broadheads you mentioned. But I have shot Blazers and found them to be accurate and tough. I currently shoot Quickspin 2" speedhunters on my Hunting arrows and find them a little more accurate than the blazers. I also use Quickspin 1.5" on my Target arrows and they shoot great. The new 2" quickspins are also very tough now with the new ST material. Now if your loosing fletching then I would say yes to a new jig. The best your gonna get is a Bitzenburger. If you like to fletch quickly then an Arizona E-Z Fletch works fast and is pretty accurate. As far as Blazers on a helical....I shot them with a 1 degree right offset and I shoot the Quickspins with a 1/2 degree offset, which I found to yeild the best results with quickspins. Feathers are nice they recover an arrow out of the bow quicker but they will slow your arrow down quicker. As far as the arrow wraps....I am still a glue n stick kinda guy. So if you use quickspins I think you'll be satisfied. Well good luck to ya.

4. ace7038

ace7038 New Member

I can't help you with the broad heads. I have only ever shot two different broad heads. I do shoot FOB's though. I have had extremely good luck with them over vains. They are a lot easier to change than vanes. I have a bitz jig and although it is fun to fletch arrows while watching tv or looking after the kids while the wife is shopping the FOBs just slide on and off. I would give them a try. If you don't like them I will buy them from you. You do need a drop away rest for them, which for me was not a problem as all my bows had them on already. One thing I have learned as I am not been shooting a compound for a great many years is a good quality set of strings has made all my bows shoot a lot better group than the original strings they had on them.

5. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

Ace, do you like the zebra strings? I just brought my bow by the shop today becuase I thought I may have stripped the limb pocket threading(I didn't-it's fine). Anyways we weighed the poundage and it was only 52 when cranked all the way down. The bow is an 60# '06 Parker Phoenix with a lifetime warrenty, so I may make good on that if a string upgrade does not make up for it(I think it is weak due to string stretch). What type of drop-away do you shoot with the FOBs? My QAD works well with vanes, but I am noticing a bit of wear on my felt pad(meaning it is not quite dropping fast enough...or is bouncing back up). They sent a larger prong component with the rest and I will try that and see if it bounces less/clears fast enough for the FOBs. If not, I seriously will sell you my pack if you'll take them. Have you shot the FOBs with non-mechanical broadheads, though? Thanks for the help, again.

6. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

I used Thunderhead 85's with FOB's last year. I was shooting Gold Tip 5575 arrows out of my X-Force and Mathews Switchback (both 70 pounds) and my broadheads and field points grouped great out to 40 yards. I had no problem taking the 2 deer with this setup (1 deer with each setup).

I now shoot G5 Strikers and my Elite and same arrow setup and have great groups with this setup also.

I use a Limbdriver on my Elite, and Trophy Ridge Dropzone on the other 2 bows.

7. J.Blay

J.Blay New Member

I quit messing around and got a Bitzenburger. 2" Blazers worked with the 100 grain Thunderheads I used to shoot, I had to tune by bow every fall to shoot them close to my target tip groups. I switched to 100 grain Atom Razor wire broadheads. No more retuning needed. They guarantee exact same impact point as target tips, or your money back. I've hit, and retrieved 3 for 3 deer I shot at with them. One fair and two heavy blood trails, and no more than 100 yards to track.

8. Paul Morris

Paul Morris never fletch again

I would be glad to go over your set up if you would like. Just shoot me a pm and I will make sure you are good to go or let you know if you are not.

I have got about 1/2 dozen calls the last few weeks with guys that have problems with broadhead flight. Not anymore :biggrin1:

My problem with broadheads was usually from issues. Every time I shot a blade things seemed to change from day to day. It was all me! Any form issue will be amplified with a blade. These crazy round things have taken that out of the equation for the most part.

Regards,

9. ace7038

ace7038 New Member

I have not shot zebra strings. I have had good luck with Cedar Hill Archery strings and Mike Priester bowstrings. I have not had good luck with the original strings on any of my bows. If your FOBs don't work out for you pm me and we'll get together on a them. Give Paul Morris a pm though, they are his baby and he was way more helpful than any other person I have dealt with when it comes to archery related equipment/adjusting/tuning/etc.

10. gobucs84

gobucs84 New Member

I recently purchased the broadheads although haven't used them and am not going to after receiving them. Nowhere on the website does it mention having a shrink tube holding the blades in during flight. Also and this was the main reason, according to the website and commercial the swhacker has a 2.25" cut. When mine arrived they only had a 1.75" cut. A half inch difference is a big difference. I contacted swhacker about returning them since this wasn't what was advertised and it's been two weeks and no answer. I'm not impressed.