For the record....

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by thehairlessone!, Jul 8, 2007.

1. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

I couldnt care less what kind of bow you shoot. We can alll come over here and have a good time cutting up and joking around

We are all Brothers of the Bow!

welcome! :welcome:

rick

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I would rather consider one or two of the people on here as "Step-brothers of the Bow" :peace:

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

I agree, shot what you want. The new equipment is great, now it's all up to the shooter. One may feel nicer or has less vibration but that doesn't dictate hitting the bullseye.

Shoot what you want, shoot what you like, period.

4. thehairlessone!

:laugh:

Good one JC!

There are alot of great bows on the market nowadays. Sometimes I wish I could afford a couple different ones

rick

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

That's funny...

Ron

6. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

:amen:

And for the life of me, I can't figure out why anyone would. If I want to shoot my old pos $15 recurve with the twisted limbs, what difference would it make to anyone else? I mean REALLY? :noidea:

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I just happen to think archery is a ton of fun. I wish I had an old recurve to fool around with...

With me it's definitely a comraderie benefit and the healthy debates/discussions are just part of the experience. Some people are just too emotional about it though and that's what I don't understand. This sport is too small and we need to band together and keep the activists from taking away what we like to do. We need to gear our angst towards the enemies of our sport, not ourselves.

Ron

8. Doc Holliday

When I was shooting those $1500 rigs, I didn't have anywhere near the fun as I do with that old wore out recurve. Everyone should own one. :)

9. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I agree about Recurves:biggrin1: I actually got the fever a few years ago, Shot one all summer and then went out and harvested a Doe with it the first week of the season. It was a blast. Nothing like shooting swinging Coke cans and apples out of the tree:cool:

When I can hit'em that is:doh:

10. Doc Holliday

I'm jealous.

I could never get good enough with mine to hunt with it. I may get a new one in the spring though. Or at least one that still has a little life left in it. :biggrin1:

Maybe that'll help. :D

11. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I have not shot a recurve since I was in Boy Scouts...
    What's a decent affordable recurve out there these days ?
    How do you compare draw weight against a compound draw weight ?

Just curious since I really don't know anything about those bows...

Ron

12. Doc Holliday

Nothing like a compound. If you buy a 60# recurve, you'll regret it. :D You should probably start out with a 40-45 pounder to start with. A 45 pound recurve will have a holding weight of 45 pounds at full draw.

I love the looks of that Bear Cheyenne. Every time I go to Bass pro I have to fondle it. But I know I need a longer bow. It's only 55" but it is sooooo beautiful that I might not be able to resist it.

As far as price, they are just like compounds. How much do you want to spend. Prolly anywhere from $200 for a good decent one to waaaaaay over a grand for a custom job.

But believe me, you can have a ton of fun with an old wore out $15 yard sale recurve. :rockon:

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Either an older one or serviceable new one. $200 is not out of the question at all. I kind of understand the draw weight difference but I don't know how you really compare. I shoot 60# target, 70# hunting and feel comfortable on both weights. Issue is the letoff, vs. no letoff on recurve. And, no back wall... I think I need to score a used one and play around with it for a while and then decide what to do. Unfortunately nobody I know anymore owns one so I need to do some digging...

Thanks,
    Ron

14. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Could I just take the cam and idler off my Ovation and hook a string to each axle and call it a longbow????:noidea:

15. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Nope!

You would have to call that one the original > FREAK-CURVE<:laugh:
    But who know's It might sell!:noidea:

16. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Geez, interesting thought however the draw weight might need a 1/2 ton truck to draw it...
    That and the draw length might be all of 3"...
    :laugh:

Ron

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Ron

I just bought an old darton back in feb,
    58" 50lb.
    On e-bay for $65
    Shoots great & the poundage is not that bad!
    I liked getting back into trid. shooting so much i searched for another.
    Got another in Thursday Pse Talon, 50lb for $140 Ill post Pic's later This is a beautiful Take-down 60 inches 2 years old.
    This bow is such a great shooter I just ordered a bunch of barred feathers to make arrows & Im Takeing it on my hunt in ohio as a back-up incase something were to happen to my compound!

18. Doc Holliday

That would probably be your best bet. :)

I've got a feeling though that once you get the hang of them, you'll be hooked. ;)

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah, I used to shoot a recurve regularly in Boy Scouts and loved it.
    I think the things were made out of fiberglass... We used to shoot at pop cans placed on the top of hay bales. Somebody would shake one of them up randomly and whomever hit the shaken one got bragging rights. We used to laugh our guts out.

Thanks for the info and advice guys.

Ron

20. thehairlessone!

I cant either but some people sure think they should be able to. I am partial to bowtech and mathews but that doesnt mean I am not going to like someone just because they shoot a different brand.

The recurves are fun. I would like to get a cheap one myself just to fool around with.

rick