Form ?'s

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by IAHunter11, Jan 29, 2008.

1. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I took two pictures. Because in the first one I am using my release loop and feel like i am really leaning back to get to my peep sight... The second is on the string so it would be about 1/2" shorter and feels much better.. So in my theory I need to shorten my draw length at least 1/2" what does everyone else think?? Any other recomendations on my form???
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. wraith

wraith Junior Member

you could either, shortn your draw, shoot off the string, or if like me you perfer the loop, move your peep.

3. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

It looks like you feel more comfortable without the loop. Honestly, if you do feel more comfortable the best thing do to would be to shorten the draw and put a loop on. You want the loop on there for many benefits vs shooting off the string.

Plus are you at full draw without an arrow nocked? Yikes!!!!!

4. STRO

Your anchor also looks pretty high, your peep also looks like it is a ways away, is that hard to see through. Compare where you peep is in relation to your face to Bunnymans. I think you will see a big difference.

5. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

I anchor on the tip of my nose.. I see threw the peep fine. Do you think I need to move it down??

6. STRO

When I say anchor I mean where your hand is. Both you and bunnyman have the string touching your noses but compare where his hand is to yours. I also have the string touching my nose but my hand is tucked firmly in my jaw.

7. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

so you think I need to try to lower my left hand?

8. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If you'll notice, the spot where the nock should be is in the same place on both pictures. This confirms the crazy notion that loops do not change draw length. All a d loop does is move your release hand back further on your face.

In my opinion (and everyone has one) your draw length looks pretty good, if anything a hair short.

Have you tried just standing up straight and not leaning back? Stick an arrow shaft down your pant leg on your hip away from your bow. That will keep you upright.

9. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I think if we could get QSA to work his magic, it does look like you're leaning back. :biggrin1:

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

He is definitely leaning back, but I can lean back if I want to. It doesn't always mean my draw is wrong....:noidea:

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I think his draw looks good.

Not sure why he is leaning. :noidea:

Maybe his shirt is causing an optical illusion?

12. should he have a broad head on it or target point?:lol:

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If you put a broadhead on the end under your arm pit, I guaranteeyou won't lean....:biggrin1:

14. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

ya that would be awsome.. I think My shirt makes it look like I am leaning more than I really am... I just tried it with an arrow and seemed pretty straight...

15. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Just what ever you do leave your shirt on we had a streaker on here a while back....:doh:

16. IAHunter11

IAHunter11 Member

No worries I am not taking it off....

17. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Good man by the way your draw looks fine. Better in the second photo.... Just make a mental point to stand up straight and get somebody to take your picture again...:rockon:

18. 3dshooter80

3dshooter80 Junior Member

I agree that I think your draw length is pretty good. I think that you should move your peep up which will cause you to lower your release hand in order to see through it. This will cause you to have to bring your head in closer to the string also and if done properly, will help to remedy much of the leaning back.
    You should draw the bow back, stand as straight as possible, then anchor the string on the tip of your nose and the corner of your mouth, but do this with your eyes closed to see how it feels. Then open your eyes and see if you can see through your peep. Then move your peep accordingly.
    By dropping your release hand down, your head will come forward and your hand will begin to fit in a more natural position behind your jaw bone and "under" your ear more. I also think that by putting the loop back on the string it will help you to tuck your hand more neatly behind your jaw bone.
    I know that this is a lot of stuff to change, but your asked...:D

19. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I didn't read all the other comments but I would suggest, simply lowering your release hand and adjust your peep accordingly. If you need to slap on a kisser button just to help with your form, put it about an inch or so above your d-loop. At full draw your arrow should be about even with your lower jaw, not the corner of your mouth. Good luck, keep us updated. What do the pins on your sight look like, are they bunched up at the top or bottom?

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008
  20. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

1. Your draw length is to short by about 1/4 an inch. The nock of your arrow should line up under your eye, right now it appears to be lining up with the corner of your mouth. Definately do not shorten your DL anymore

2. You appear to be leaning back a very slight amount... I really wouldn't worry about it as it still looks good

3. Never draw your bow without an arrow.

4. I can't really tell how you are holding your release, if you are gripping it tightly in your hand or if your fingers are just covering it. You really don't want to hold it tightly as there is more chance of screwing up the release.

5. I can't tell if you shoot bent arm or straight arm, it looks like your arm is a little bent but that may be the sweatshirt. If you are shooting straight arm I would say try bent arm a few times. it will line you up perfectly with where you want to be.

I think if you lengthen your DL a little bit your anchor will move closer to a comfortable position, if you are comfortable with how it is now then don't mess with it :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2008