Gander Mt. Archery

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by lungcutter, Dec 9, 2007.

1. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I was at a GM last night and the sales rep in the archery dept. was clueless. He was trying to sell a Truth bow to a guy for a gift for his son (who was not there). The man wanted a left handed bow in a certain model. The rep didn't know how to tell which Truth it was. Also he had a right handed bow he was selling this poor dad. My son and I told this dad that the bow was not a left hand bow and the sales rep was surprised that it wasn't.:dizzy:

The salesman's shirt said "bows bucks and broadheads welcome to my world.":frusty: I just wonder how many kids in my area will be getting a big surprise for Christmas.:Cry:

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yeah...Like that here too...
    Bunnyman and I went to shoot some bows at our GM and I had to tell the guy to put a nock on the string...:doh: :doh: :doh: :doh:

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

its the same at ALL these "PRO" shop's........these guys are clueless and a menace to the archery community........these kids will get frustrated and there goes one more wanna be archer.......

these places pay crap wages, and fire anyone who knows anything what so ever......

i asked the store manager at the Gander near me, what his outdoor specialty was.......

he said to me "what do you mean??"

I said well whats your favorite outdoor activity???

He said..." I am not an outdoor kinda person"......

I said well what is your speacialty??

his answer....."Retailing!"...

I said ohhhhh thats why you have the guys rearranging the hunting section,a week before the fishing season opener, and there are 3 pallets worth of fishing tackle over there in the corner.......and I cant find a single pack of friggen hooks onthe wall........

I ended it by saying......Well good luck Retailling.......

4. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I agree w/ the lack of knowledge part but what bothers me most is the lack of selection in the archery department. They never have what I'm looking for. The store is ok for most other things, they just need some serious help in archery depo. As far as that goes I only get advise or work on my bow done at a local shop.

5. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Like that here too, what I don't like about the main guy there is that he is very subjective about everything and will try to sell you something that you don't need. I don't even go there anymore for archery equipment, Chris has everything I need. Anytime I did go to Gander to pick up something I did need they did not have it and they did not know when they would get more. How do you not know when the next truck comes in with something you are out of? I am tired of wasting my time going there.

6. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

See BM you know what I am talking about...:frusty: :frusty:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

BECAUSE THE INDIVIDUAL STORES DO NOT ORDER THERE OWN STUFF.......

they are SENT what they are supposed to sell!!!!

8. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

I only went there because a friends wife gave me money to shop for her husbands Christmas gifts. I wouldn't buy my archery stuff there, I would rather pay a few pennies more and support my local shop.

Don't they realize how much money they could make if they just stocked the shelves and put people in there that have a clue.:doh:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dont you relize how much money they do make.......selling to people who dont know as much as we do????

how many fathers did this guy sell bows too, when you wearnt there???

10. MNOutdoorsman

MNOutdoorsman Junior Member

I guess we are just lucky in Rochester. They just moved into a new building and they hired the best bow tech. from the local archery shop. He is top notch and has been working as a bow tech. for at least 15 years. The store manager and several of the department managers are bow hunters.
    I just bought a 2008 Diamond Black Ice with all the accessories. I couldn't be happier with the experience.

MNOutdoorsman

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

IT WILL CHANGE......it was the same way when it first opened here also:frusty:

12. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Those guys are going to be let go. The store is about moving merchandise not helping shooters fine tune their equipment.:doh:

13. MNOutdoorsman

MNOutdoorsman Junior Member

I hope not but we will see.

Rochester has been lacking on good hunting and fishing type stores. This year we got a new Mills Fleet Farm, Dick's Sporting Goods, and the new Gander. We can stop driving 60 miles to Cabelas, or at least cut down on the trips.

Hopefully, the local shops will survive. I'm sure their business will suffer for awhile.

MNOutdoorsman

14. Mr Wiggl3s

Mr Wiggl3s Junior Member

Imma head up to he cabelas this weekend, they got anything good?

15. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Just incase you didn't know it, Cabelas has layaway for all your hunting needs.:biggrin1:

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

You're exactly correct, with a few exceptions though (which are too few to mention and waste people's valuable time).

I worked in grocery retail/supply chain for a long time. They call that wonderful process "Merchandising" !

It's definition is roughly this:

Merchandising: "Where some dumb-butt buyer in a corporate office decides what the clueless sales staff will attempt to sell to an inexperienced customer and make the most profit from..."... The kicker is that the dum-butt buyer usually knows even LESS than the person on the sales floor...

GM's merchandising and sales staff stinks more or less all around... Hunting, fishing, archery, camping... None of them have a clue from my experience.

Beginners beware of GM. They could potentially drive you away from the sport instead of bringing you in...

Ron

18. I missed

I missed Senior Member

i have been unsatisfied with GM too.........
    but i get every thing for 20% off so i still get every thing from there:peace:

19. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

even at 20%off most of there stuff is over priced........

20. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Is a 20% discount really worth the hassle of dealing with the uneducated.:noidea: