Gobble Gobble

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by jcmorgan31, Apr 25, 2007.

1. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Anybody gonna bowhunt a turkey?

2. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I'm planning on taking my second bird w/ a bow this year.. got one a fefw years ago w/ one.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I will be out on Wed morning as long as its not raining....:rockon:

4. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

i cannot understand why tha birds will be out.

5. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

This will be my first year attempting to bow hunt one. Looking forward to the challenge of it.:peace:

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Shooting a turkey with a bow is unethical!

I prefer to just throw them in the oven while they are still alive... more juicy that way :laugh:

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

dredly is a liar:rockon: :rockon:

8. longcut36

longcut36 Senior Member

I have a hard enough time hitting a 3D gobbler.if I cant shotgun it, I aint gonna hunt it:biggrin1:

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

no they really are juicier :rockon:

10. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

two more days, may need bowman to post the pic. for me, if i get lucky

11. pdq 5oh

pdq 5oh Member

I can only hunt weekends. But I do it with my bow. :cool:

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Last edited: May 6, 2007
  13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

14. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I have never hunted turkey before, but I am hoping to maybe get a chance this year (with my bow) :cool:

15. Meet BOB....

I got my Primos B-Mobile decoy last week, and was given a bunch of turkey fan feathers by a buddy at work, actually a member here, "NYBucksandBeards", so I made up a feather fan for Bob... It turned out OK, looks like a mix between a jake and a wimpy gobbler, so I hope it will work well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I have been waiting for sunlight to take some pics of him!

16. What a treat!

The other day I went to a property I hunt. My goal was to put up a trail cam to see if any birds are using the area and to get into the first fawn contest here....

With my cam loaded up in the truck, I stopped at Tractor Supply to get some corn (for the turkeys DEc, for the turkeys....)

I pull down the drive to the "Garden" and about 3/4 of the way down, I spot a turkey in the field, actually in the corner HTH and I set up last spring! Booyah!

[​IMG]

I stop, turn off the truck and reach for my bino's...HOME! Nuts..... I grab Andrew's little pair of Vortex Optics Twisters...mini-binos I got him last year!

I was able to see it was a nice longbeard! He would eat, strut, gobble....eat, strut, gobble.....I was pumped! Here is a pic on 10X digital zoom, hand held....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I watched him for about 15 minutes and he disappeared behind some trashy trees on the far end of the field. I grabbed the toys and trudged through the wet, very wet field to a spot where there are some bigger trees on the field edge.

The cam went up fast. I aimed it into the field to watch where I think the birds are working the area....time will tell - it will stay there until May 1, the turkey opener.

[​IMG]

17. Oh hell yeah!......less than a week to go!

I typically only bowhunt turkeys, from my blind. This year I may break out Dusty, my very old 12 gauge....

I will be bowhunting here in NY in 3 towns, and was just invited up to Hurley, NY to bowhunt with a kid from Mathews Forums...

I will alsi be hunting Conneticut.

Check out my latest creation!

Now as you fellow bowhunters know, with a blind, a bow, arrows, decoys, and the assorted OVERKILL we take into the woods with us can be a pain in the tookas to carry.....

My blind, an Ameristep Brickhouse did come with a bag and carrying straps....but it is still a pain...

So...taking a tip from many guys on AT, I put out the BOLO at work for a wheeled hand golf bag carrier...

One of our rookies donated a very nice model to me, and with some camo spray paint, an empty bucket, and some zipties, I made a blind and bow carrier!

I put a peice of pipe foam around the top of the bucket to protect my bow when I put it in as well. All in all, I think it came out AWESOME!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. Done up my gobbler stickers today - came out cool.

Gold tip 7595 Pro's in black, custom Battledrum/Trophy Ridge wraps, black Blazer vanes, and Rocket 100 grain Hammerheads....

Can't wait to loose the devil!!!!!

Can't see then good?EXACTLY!!! :D

[​IMG]

DAMAGE INC.!!!!!!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Drove by where I'm hunting turkeys tonight to see if my blind was still up. It has been windy the past week and I put it up last Saturday. You could see my blind from the road which is probably 1/2 of a mile away on rolling hills. I could also see some birds about 100 yards from the blind. This was about 5:00, so I'm guessing these birds are going night night very close by. We shall see tomorrow morning. Let's see how this vectrix xl deals with a long beard tomorrow. It's finally time to get out there and chase em.