GPP concerns

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Onyx Z, Aug 23, 2007.

1. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I have some Gold Tip 7595 shafts on the way (8.9 gr./in. will be cut to 28")

So if my math is correct, it would come out to be around a 395 gr. arrow (250 arrow, 100 gr. point., 15 gr. Blazers, 15gr. insert, 15 gr. nock) Which would be 5.6 gr./lb.

I'm shooting a Fred Bear Instinct, 28" DL, 70 lb. DW.

I'm definitely not looking for an arrow to explode upon release, but this 5.6 gr./lb. is kinda close to the limit of 5 gr./lb. and I'm kinda concerned about this. Is anyone shooting close to this setup? Any problems with it?

Thanks

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Are you sure you should use the 7595 spined GT's at a 28" draw with a 70# bow ? That spine seems like it might be too stiff. But maybe not.
    Also, 0.6 grains per pound is quite a percentage increase from the recommended 5 grains per pound minimum so that should not be an issue at all. If in doubt you could go to a 125 grain tip which will increase gpp and reduce the effects of an arrow that may be too stiff for your setup.

Good luck,

Ron

3. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Well I was right on the border between 5575 and 7595 according to GT's chart.

I'd think it would be better to have the stiffer of the two arrows for safety reasons. Good point about stepping up to a 125 point, I'll try that if the bare shaft tuning doesn't work to my favor.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You should be fine...I run 5.4 to 5.6...
    It's the guys that are running in the mid 4's that get in trouble mostly...
    but be safe and check that arrow every time you nock it...:cool:

5. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I'm starting to think I should have ordered the 5575 GT's. I really don't want to move up to a 125 gr. point since I already have 100 gr. broadheads that I used with my old bow. hmm, decisions decisions. :noidea:

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Well, like brokenarrow said, you're in the right gpp range. You might want to look at spine and/or point weight though. Remember that even if you loose a bit of arrow speed by going with a heavier point/broadhead you are not likely to loose much kinetic energy and in a lot of cases you may gain some.

And checking your carbon arrows before shooting is a wise thing to do regardless of your gpp for your setup. It's not worth taking a chance not to.

Good luck.

Ron

7. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

HELLO!!!!! Anyboody home? If you're that concerned all you have to do is take a turn off the limbs. There is no rule that a 70# bow has to be shot at 70#.

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

there also is NO rule that you even HAVE to buy a 70lbs bow, and I really cant understand why people do so.......

9. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

I just prefer to shoot a bow around 70# draw weight. My old 60# bow felt way too light to me.

lots of great help here, I'll have to give all of these things a try in my tuning process until I get it perfect.

10. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I am shooting carbon express cx 300's and I am at 5.7 gpp..... No problems!

11. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I hunt with my XT at 72# because that is comfortable to me. And you never know when the extra KE is going to come into play.

So now do you understand..........I do it because I CAN:D

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

My Allegiance is the same way. It's 71# and I have no issue with drawing and shooting it. But, having said, that I'll probably get a 60# bow the next time around since they are becoming so much more efficient.

Ron

13. pilot

pilot Senior Member

I think i'm at about 5.4-5.5 gpp....shoot man, i shot my 3-spot with my bow set at 70# :peace:

I have since turned my back down for the 5-spots so my arms don't feel like they are going to fall off by the last end :biggrin1:

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

i shoot my target bow at somewhere in the 5.1 - 5.2 range. You're fine! :biggrin1:

The biggest thing is to make sure you don't smack your arrows together and if you miss the target always check em before you shoot them again. 7595's will probably fly okay for ya and they hit like a ton of bricks.

15. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I agree whole heartedly, but that isn't at issue here. All I was suggesting is that anybody can optimize their tune by changing the weight on the bow. That's one of the reasons limb bolts are on a bow.

Guys get to tuning. They will change length of shaft, change point weights, vanes, put wraps on, and all sorts of foolish stuff when maybe a turn one way or the other on the limb bolts would accomplish the same thing. In much less time and FREE. It's a no-brainer.

Sorry for the hijack.

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup have to agree here....

17. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Part of his dilemma included the fact that he was borderline between a 5575 and 7595 spine according to GT documentation so if he backed down the draw weight he would have an arrow that would be spined too stiff.

I understood it that he wanted to be sure his gpp was safe, all things being set up as is. He was not interested in reducing his draw weight. Sounds like he's good to go as it is and I would certainly shoot the bow/arrow setup as is.

Ron

18. Onyx Z

Onyx Z Member

Thank you, that's more or less what I wanted to hear.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

No problem... I have been guilty of not completely reading posts myself and offering less than complete/accurate information.

Everyone is trying to help but sometimes it makes sense to draft a question that has all of the information you know about with the issue you are having. It's not easy to try and read and understand a string of responses to a post on a topic that meander around.

Anyway, I think you are good to go. If anything, because of your borderline arrow spine, maybe go a heavier point. Changing points, usually, is a very inexpensive thing to play around with.

Good luck...

Ron

20. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

I plead guilty to evading uestion. I do agree that I would shoot the setup as is with complete peace of mind.
    Guess I got off topic, but was intimating that if safety is such a concern then just drop the weight a few pounds for his own peace of mind. As I did say---simple and free. Then the 5575's would be just dandy.