Green Acorns?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Jay Are, Sep 15, 2007.

1. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Does anybody know if deer eat green acorns?

It has been windy here for the last few days and have a bunch load that fell out of the trees.

I was just wondering if they would eat them, or if they would just rot on the ground... :noidea:

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I'm pretty sure they'll eat them..:dizzy:

3. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

yes!

Ha, Jayare I have found green acorns in the stomach of deer ive taken in the early part of october in the past!
    And YES i have filled the bed of my truck with them out of my yard, went to my hunt club skattered them down the dirt roads in the woods where whiteoaks were not dropping acorns yet,Before season and the deer eat them up by the time the season starts!:laugh:

4. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Well my season started today for doe only... I didn't get a chance to get out, but I am trying to figure out if I should change my spot I had picked and gamble on them changing their paths to start feeding on the green acorns.

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Corn!

The problem is if you have a better food sorce near by like a corn field or even a residents area bird seed, small gardens with tomato vines beans etc.
    They seem to turn to acorns last unless there in a remote area!
    If you havent had to much ran lately focas on water and where there crossing!
    My week starts oct Im going to get between thick cover and a wide shallow creek that they always come to that has giant white oaks that drop Acorns in the water!

6. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

My season started today also and My doe was shot while feedind on fallen acorns.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

pics????

I think they will any acorn that is not bitter......

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yes sir I have watch em' pick em' up.

9. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Oh yeah....they will eat them.

10. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

They'll gobble them up, and put that spot on thier routine rounds after a few visits. They are getting tired of the greenery, and like the change in diet. Acorns are high energy food, and the White oaks are sweeter for them. Less tannin or something.