Gut hook or not?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by RiverRob, Sep 8, 2008.

1. Gut hook

15 vote(s)
    40.5%
  2. no hook

22 vote(s)
    59.5%
  1. RiverRob

RiverRob Green Mtn. bound

Ive been toting a knife with a gut hook as my main field dressing knife, thinking about swapping it out for one without. You all prefer gut hooks or not?

2. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

love mine
    been using one snice late 80's

3. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

Use a standard drop point and place your finger on the tip of the knife spine inside the deer to hold the blade off the guts...simply unzip. Your finger acts as the guard to keep the guts from being punctured.

4. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

I will never understand why someone would not use a gut hook! It is just so much easier!!!!!!! no brainer

5. Hook Em

This is how I used to do it....before trying a gut hook!

6. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

After gutting 60 + deer I think I got the hang of it without the gut hook, old dogs new tricks :doh:

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

Never used one. I have one on my knife, but it doesn't get used. My dad tried to get me to use it and I couldn't get the hang of it. I just split my middle and pointer finger and run it up as a guide. Works good for me.

8. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I have with and without, my favorite knife is coming up on 40 yrs, old - no hook. I don't find them all that necessary.

9. I've alway used knifes without the gut hook, I got a buck knife for x-mas last year and it has the gut hook, I just hope I get a chance to try it out

10. MagnifiedFur

MagnifiedFur Team 6

I use the bigger size brake-off razor knife,cost me a dollar and works great...Never had a prob with them ...very light weight,just toss it in your bag and go...

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

I've done more w/out a gut hook than with. But if you have one, there's no good reason not to use it. I bought a second one at wally world that is just a gut hook with replaceable blades. Hopefully I won't forget this one.:frusty:

12. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

gut hooks are illegal in Ohio.

13. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I just use a 2" ruko and my gerber ez-zipper.

14. Tenderfoot

Tenderfoot New Member

my gerber ez zip(gift) is a pretty nifty idea, but it is one more thing to carry, and gut hooks on knives are hard as heck to get well sharpened.

15. red44

red44 Senior Member

Your kidding, right?

16. jkg3117

jkg3117 Member

both

i have both and use both, but mostly I don't use a hook.
    Jim

17. Hook Em

I have had my knife for about 5 years and it has been through lots and lots of guts. Never sharpened it (the hook at least)...still works great.

18. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

No hook for me.........don't see the need. My old Uncle Henry is working just fine.

19. clemenlp

clemenlp Diamond in the Rough

I pretty much stick with the buck 110 and a Schrade 77OT Improved Muskrat. With both of these knives I have never seen a reason to need another.

20. Slippy

Slippy Buckeyes #1

gut hook or not, you're still going to have to get your hands up in there and do some rip'n....

Gut hooks are legal for feild dressing game in Ohio, but illegal to take game.