Has this ever happened to you?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Radar, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I was given Permission last season to hunt 350 acres of riverbottom land. The guy that owns the land is an older guy in chicago and the guy that owns the house and 5 acres that buts up to it hunts it and looks after the land, and is the son of a Family friend of my parents and grandparents. I never got to hunt at all last season because of work and was very excited about this upcoming season. I had kept in touch over the summer and everything was fine. I went out there last Friday and the son(My Fathers age.....Mid 40's) who I had not seen since I was a kid was mowing his lawn and his dad told him we were gonna go check out a few new stand locations that had been moved from last year.......The vibe I got off of him was less than Happy, I could tell that he didnt really want me out there. He doesnt even bowhunt, only shotgun. Well me and the dad went out checked stuff out and everything was fine..... next morning (saturday) I get a phone call from the old man saying he had bad news..........Well long story short I no longer have permission to hunt there. He said that the owner called from chicago and said he really didnt want anyone else out there this year.......Ya right I think the son made it all up because he didnt want anyone else out there except his dad and his friend. I was told last year that the owner left it up to the son and his dad's discretion on who could hunt out there. The dad told me how he felt really bad about wasting my time, and I believe him he is a very straight shooter. I stayed very calm and polite to him and told him it was ok and it is what it is. I am glad that the other places I hunt arent like this. I have had a pit in my stomach ever since.

2. lungcutter

lungcutter Senior Member

Don't worry about it. Some people are like that. I think you handled that the right way. Just forget about it and more on. Good luck this season:peace:

3. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

That's to bad that people have to act like that :doh: Good luck wherever you get to hunt.

4. Werd

Werd Senior Member

nope..but that sucks. gl with the ur upcoming hunts.

5. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yes, it happens all the time but it's usually more dramatic than than your experience. You should not feel bad but you can try and work things out...

In my experience it's usually some idiot, or group of idiots, that screws things up for everyone by doing something dumb on the land owner's property or getting into a scuffle with a landowner's buddy who also has permission to hunt (anyone out there reading but who is not a member of this forum remember this story ?). In your case, it's just a matter of the landowner making tough decisions on who hunts the land and who doesn't. If his son or other family member chimes in then what are you going to do ? If I were you I would re-approach that one and offer a percentage of your take on the property during bow season, offer to share stands, scout together, get a team going to slay the suckers, get the other family member into bowhunting, heck, the season is WAY longer... Try and make friends with them and 'play nice in the sandbox'.

Ron

6. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Tough luck Ray...
    That sucks...I had a small 100 acre parcel I used to hunt and it went down much the same way...It's getting harder to find land but it's out there...
    Good luck buddy...

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yeah it does suck but I would not give up so fast. He should be a nice guy and offer a 'laurel' (or whatever) to the landowner and his nervous family member and see what happens. I will not hurt to try, unless you're a jack*ss about it.

Ron

8. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,Radar!

I had this simular thing happen about 10years ago on 200acres
    A guy in a trailor was watchin over the land for the owner and only me and him would bowhunt on it.
    He called the owner and had me run off.
    The next year in the summer i saw a big buck on that property and leased it from the owner for $400
    I killed that buck was 19inchs wide and grossed 138 which was one of my biggest.
    Try next year!:noidea: ya never know!

9. chainsawlaskowski

chainsawlaskowski Junior Member

Hunting Land

I had a similar experience with the land I was hunting last year. It was the second year that I was given permission to hunt it. I did a bunch of tree cutting etc. for the owner to earn my way. The previous year, I killed a real nice 8 point. The owners son came rushing home from work and into the woods to see what I got. He started yelling at his dad telling him that he planned on shooting that deer! (after passing on it twice already) I didn't see his name on it when I shot it. His dad told him to shut up and it was a bad situation. So when I went back to hunt last year, I wasn't allowed to hunt anywhere near where I killed that buck (which was a nice funnel that they never even tried hunting before) His son put a stand up right where I was. I was only allowed to hunt a small 20 acre spot that had six other people hunting it. You can guess the results.... I told myself that I would never go into a hunting season without a back-up spot to hunt. My entire season was wasted last year because I thought I would be able to hunt this farm and it got pulled out from under me.
    Here in Wisconsin it's next to impossible to get permission to deer hunt private land. There are public spots but we all know how that goes. My wife and I both like to hunt, so we bought a small piece of property that we can hunt any time and any way we see fit without having to kiss anyones behind to do so. I know that not everyone can afford their own place, but we went out on a limb and went for it. I would have liked a bigger place (we have 14 1/2 acres), but we kept it in our price range and we have already had a "book" buck on one of our trail cameras, and have taken two does off the land already this season. There is also a large public hunting grounds about 15 miles away if we need to spread out. Good Luck with the rest of the season. Maybe things will work out for the best. Jeff

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

I feel for you guys, I have been getting the run around since september from a friend of the family on some hunting ground. Well, hes a farmer so he's playing the machinery problems routine on me. "Well my semi's broke, now its my combine", like I said.....we were supposed to go "walk around" so he could show me the place the first weekend of September. Here it is the 2nd week of October and my two new stands and ladders are still in the yard waiting....:mad: I'm glad I have other places to hunt, some people just don't understand!:censored: :censored:

Last edited: Oct 9, 2007
  11. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Thanks guys and gals. I still have the other two places to go. I talked to them both this week just to reassure myself that it wouldnt happen at their places too.

12. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I would have shoved that lawn mower straight up the sons arse!!!!! :tape: :mad: then found a new place to hunt. Your a better man then me. I would have at least confronted the son and told him what I thought for waisting my time when all summer everything was ok...
    Its jerks like that.. that should be hung by there jimmy crack corn!!!!:laugh:

13. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

i see we think alike.............................................:censored:

14. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I would have to say I am going to be 26 next month:dizzy: and that if I was 18-19 again I probably would have hell maybe even 22. But I have mellowed out alot since then( I think my wife is to blame ) The dad is neighbors and friends with my grandfather, so I am just going to move on. Went out yesterday and saw some good signs but didnt see any deer. Although I did have to walk out a 5:00p.m. to go to my inlaws for cake and ice cream for my mother in laws birthday:frusty: didnt go this morning but I am going out this afternoon if it is not raining.......note to self I need to finally get some rain gear!