have a ? about my new bow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by red man, Jul 5, 2008.

1. red man

red man New Member

i just got a new bow i had a jennings buck master split limb it was a 50 -70 pound bow it was getting old so i saved my money and got a new bow. i bought a martin saber pro series grate looking bow so i put every thing i had on it i am shooting a lot slower. it is a 60 pound bow i am using the easton axis 340 it is only shooting 233 fps how can i get this bow up to 250's? i know that the 340 are a big arrow and i dont have the money to get the easton axis 500. also if any one might know the ibo on this bow it would help a lot it is the 07 model thank

2. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

For 2007 the IBO is supposedly 310 on the DynaCam and 300 on the MPro. You might go on their site and verify which cam you have; or if you post a pic we could tell you as well. You didn't give us your draw length, but with that, what weight tips you are using, arrow length (or actual weight of the arrow) and what all you have on your string we could tell you if that number is reasonable or not. If you're a normal deer hunter and you know your ranges ahead of time for where you are hunting you should be fine. If you're wanting to use it for 3D that does leave something to be desired. Like you said an arrow change is probably going to be required. Take a look at Victory arrows.

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

I have to second what dbc said. A little more information will go a long way in being able to help you out.:cool:

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Yep we need more info...

I think arrow weight is the main culprit for your speed loss...

Were you shooting the Jennings at 70#??

5. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

I agree,get the 400 make a big difference.............

6. red man

red man New Member

i am shooting 100 gr tips with the blazer vans end of the arrow to the other end is 30 1/2. the draw length is at 29 on my string i have string leaches and them whisker things. i am also shooting with a release. and my jennings was a 70# bow but is was set at 65# i was shooting 252 fps with it is and it is FORE SALE set up with out arrows. i do sum screen shooting and sum 3D every now and then but not comp just for fun i am a big deer hunter . i know my arrows are a big problem. i have the dyna-cam also i like easton arrows what would be a good arrow i was thinking about the easton axis 400 with 85 gr tips.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. red man

red man New Member

it this the info you needed ???:noidea:

8. red man

red man New Member

ron ran the info on mt bow and sumthing must be wrong the chronograph that i shot threw could be off i should be shooting at 260 fps i am going to look in to this

9. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Red,

It sounds like you lowered your draw weight by 5 to 60#'s and you are shooting the same arrows. If you are looking for speed at 60#'s your arrow weight should be around 300 grains for IBO. Everything added to your string will have an effect on your fps.

Since you are bigger into hunting than into target or 3D I wouldnt reduce your tips down from 100 grains which seems to be the standard for broadheads. The idea is to make it easier for yourself to adjust from target shooting to hunting and that would be to just screw in a different tip rather than change arrows and make sight adjustments.

10. red man

red man New Member

can any one find what weight arrow and draw length and draw weight i would have to be at to make any where close to my ibo thanks also i am going to cut my arrows back.

11. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

I believe IBO numbers are 70# draw weight, 30" draw length with a 350 grain arrow. The speed goes down from there so if you are going to have a draw weight of 60# then at a 5 grain / lb. arrow would be 300 grains. Again when they determine these IBO numbers it is usually without anything on the string, no knocks silencers anything and they use a machine. Hope this helps.

12. red man

red man New Member

it is onely a 60# bow i need to find a lighter arrow any suggestions i just deer hunt with this one :noidea: :noidea:

13. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Check out the Victories they seem to be a very good arrow. The HV's are lighter. PM JCMORGAN he deals with Victory and is a pretty nice fella.:peace:

14. red man

red man New Member

will do thanks

15. Rhustek

Rhustek New Member

Check out Easton Lightspeeds and PSE X-weaves as well. I have shot both of those and I like them.