heavy pull= shoulder problems

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by 62flint, Jul 17, 2007.

1. 62flint

62flint Member

I only own one bow. It is set about 67 pounds draw weight. I mostly use it for hunting but have started shooting 3d. I also like to practice a fair amount at home.
    Here's my question. Will/can shooting a 67 pound bow lead to shoulder problems? I really like the bow and wouldn't mind cranking it up to max but don't want to cause long term problems either.
    Maybe I can use this for another excuse to get a new bow.
    How much trouble is it to change limbs on a bow? Go from a 60-70 pound limb to a 50-60 pound limb.
    thanks

2. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Changing limbs on a bow is really simple and not that expensive either. I used to shoot 90# then went down to 80# after a few years there I went to 70#. All my Bows are 60# peak weight anymore. Yeah, yeah I know I'm getting old, but 60# has proven to be more than enough for any game on North America that I have hunted. The heavy weight bows definitely took their toll on my joints over the years. I drew a 90# bow a few weeks ago and afterwards I wondered why I ever put myself through that on a daily basis.:noidea:

Dan

3. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I agree with Meanv2. With today's efficient bows there's no need to pull 70 lbs if you don't want to. Most of my bows have 50-60 limbs on them.

4. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

It's got to be a age thing, I thought anybody that didn't crank 70 pounds was wimpy wimpy...now....i don't even like to look at a bow over 60 pounds and for target 50 pounds is sounding better and better all the time.

My shoulder really starts fussing when I pull 70 now a days.

5. Big Country

Big Country Member

Dan, I shot about a dozen arrows out of a 90lb. bow two weeks ago.

After reflecting on how I used to shoot 150-200 arrows a day, 7 days a week with a 90lb`r for years, I have come to the following conclusion........

They have changed the way bow scales read!:noidea:

Ain`t no way that those bows back then were that stiff to draw.:biggrin1:

6. sweet old bill

sweet old bill Member

after rotator cuff repair I went from a 70 lb to a 35 to 50 bow and then built back up to now a bow that max out at 61 lbs. If anything I shoot better, can hold longer and just get as good results as when I hunted with that 70 lb bow...now 66 years young and sure do not want to lose another season to shoulder repair. Plus the other thing is in todays new carbon arrows give you speed and are hard hitting. You I feel no longer require high weight bows for deer.

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I shoot a 71# bow because I can. Most of the people I hunt with are 60#-65# ish although there are a couple that like to brag about the poundage they pull... I don't get that except for the propensity for some guys trying to be "hard" and all that.

My train of thought is rooted in what bow hunting was like 15 years ago. Big poundage since your arrows weighed a ton and broadheads were pretty primitive compared to what they are now and you were shooting longer distances. Times have changed and technology like carbon arrrows and stout broadheads are really the difference maker. Scent control to bring animals in closer is also a big improvement. A 15 yard opportunity today is probably more likely than a 40 yard shot 15 years ago, all things being equal except for scent control.

There's no reason a 60# bow turned down to 55# or so with properly spined arrows and proper weight broadheads can't be a comfortable killing machine.

That's just my opinion and observation.

Ron

8. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I Agree Mitch!!:biggrin1:

I used to be accused of trying to pin'em to a tree. Some of the arrows I used to shoot out of 84# bows with a 4" over draw:doh: Makes me Kring to think about it now.:cool:

9. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

If you are physically strong enough to handle it, 65-70# should not cause you any problems. That being said, there is a lot of difference between 65# out of a Hoyt Spiral cam and 65# out of the Mathews Single cam.

There is a reason why a lot of the top 3D'ers are shooting heavier arrows and pulling 65-70#, the holding weight!

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

I know whatcha mean

:laugh:

I used to shoot a Pearson Spoiler @ 85# 30" draw with a 25 3/4" 2213.

I am thankful that my hand and wrist have no holes and I am still able to draw a bow, although I am limited to about 55-57 pounds. ;)