HELP! Release Problem...

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by AddictedWife, Mar 26, 2007.

1. AddictedWife

AddictedWife Junior Member

Here's my problem...
    When I hit my release, sometimes it's seconds before the string is free to leave the release. My husband, son and I are new to the sport...we have been to two 3D shoots and can't wait to go again. But I gotta get my problem fixed, this past weekend it scared me to death when I pulled my string, hit the release and nothing happened for EVER. I kept my bow/arrow pointing at the target until the string was finally released.
    Is it the release, I'm not against purchasing a better/new one. My motto is, cost isn't an option when it comes to safety.
    Is it possible there is a twist in my wrist that causes the string to hang up on the release?
    Am I not punching the release hard enough?
    I'm only pulling 30-35lbs because of lack of strength and a shoulder injury, is this part of the problem?
    Please, someone give me some ideas, Thanks so much.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

what the heck kind of release is it......also you should be squezzing the release subconciosly.....

you should not "hit" the release.....

3. you need a new release, it sounds like your release is nit workning correctly,it should go off once the trigger is pull{not punched} pull the release SLOOOWWWLLLYYYour shot should be a suprise but you shouldnt ever have to wait for the release to go off after the trigger is pulled.

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

yeah thats a very serious issue with your release, if you punch it the string should still release immediately.

5. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

:welcome: to the forums!! And yeah, what they said :biggrin1:

6. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

release

You need a new release i had this happen before.
    went home tried to take it apart,didnt fix the problem.
    i had a habit of touching & punching i think caused the release to jam.
    yes! target panic! shooting to heavy poundage trying to get speed.
    curied by cranking bow down & using the count down method.
    the guy's are right you should squeeze real slow and not really know when the bow is going to take off.:welcome:

7. AddictedWife

Thank You, Thank You, Thank You...

Someone who understands my problem! My husband came up with an idea...try his release. I just came in from shooting 50 arrows and guess what? Not once did the release hang up. Whew! I thought it was because I was left handed.:doh:
    Headed to my favorite Archery store tomorrow and buying a new release.

8. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

I just bought the Tru-fire Judge and im very pleased with it. lots of adjustments to meet your needs.

9. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

OHHHH... That's the problem...Your shooting from the wrong side of the bow...j/k:biggrin1:

Welcome to the forum...
    Definately sounds like a release problem...Glad to hear you figured it out...
    Happy shooting.

10. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Let us know what you get and how you do with it. :welcome:

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

are you shooting w/ a loop? Some releases arent design for a loop. Depends on the jaw design. Also, if your release is designed for the purpose you are using. Get a new release. Set it up so you can wrap your finger around the trigger. then when at full draw slowly push with bow hand and pull w/ release hand. This is what we call shooting B/T. You want the shot to surprise you. that way punching wont effect your shot. Something to try. Good luck!!!

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Don't worry about him... he is just jealous because we know how to shoot and he is still using suction cup arrows

13. AddictedWife

Release...

Not shooting with a loop. I believe my son and I just have cheap releases. I ordered Tru Fire "foldback" releases for my son and I yesterday. I definately don't want any more scarey moments like last weekend. The "foldback" feature will be nice...I hate constantly twisting my release around my wrist while I pull arrows or try and write scores.
    Thanks so much for the advice...:wave:

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: to the forum. I am glad you figured out your problem anything mechanical can give you problems releases just like cars. Keep posting and get your son and husband on here we would love to meet them. Is'nt it great to have the whole family involved in archery. I love your username we are truly all "addicted". Good luck and happy shootin.:peace:

15. dodgedude2003

dodgedude2003 Junior Member

Take your bow with you when you go shopping for a release.
    Any good dealer should let you try before you buy.

Take a good look at the jaw design. If it's not smooth enough, your string and/or loop could get hung up with a low draw weight.