Help !!

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by poorman, Jul 17, 2007.

1. poorman

poorman And thats no lie !

I have been shooting a lot this summer and have really gotten into tweaking and learning the ins and outs of bow maintenance. When I shoot, my pin is always below wher I am aiming then I slowly bring it up to the circle/spot. My problem is that It feels like I am trying to move a truck into that spot. I only need to move my arm up just that llittle bit but man is it hard. Is it a mental thing? I shortened my draw by 1/2" and lowered my poundage by 5 pounds and it feels better and easier to shoot but still the same problem. Could it be target panic??? Its driving me crazy! Also do you hold your breath while aiming? Any help would be appreciated.

2. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

sounds like it to me. Try drawing above the circle, let it settle and lower to the spot.

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

It is called TARGET PANIC!!!! I suffer from it too, but I am much better now. Took a while and I am still working on it!!

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Yep, it's target panic. Try this as an exercise. Draw back, do not put your finger on the trigger. Tell yourself you are not going to shoot. Now put the pin in the center of the bullseye and hold it there as long as you can and let down.

Do this multiple times. Usually people flinch the first time they put the pin in the middle even though they don't have their finger on the trigger.

5. thehairlessone!

thehairlessone! Senior Member

i had it too. Doesnt bother me much anymore. I noticed that by changing and trying different releases until I found the right one made a world of difference to me.

I tried several different ones and even some thumb triggers and dabbled with backtension (decided not to) I think I finally got it figured out. I think the releases I was using didnt fit me properly. I noticed by shooting a youth sized release that I was actually shooting much better and not punching the trigger at all. Then I got a scott mini-mongoose I believe and I am shooting better than ever.

This may not help you at all but it may be worth a try. It sure helped me. I just had to find the right size release.

Rick

6. Sniper

Sniper Senior Member

You are using big muscle groups to make fine adjustments. It's very hard to do. Just stick with it and don't spend too long on the line. Shoot three, retieve, take breaks, and when you get sloppy, leave. Don't try to overcome it. With high poundage in this heat, with multiple shots the body can only make fine adjustments so long. Stay Hydrated

7. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

Nip it in the Bud!! Target Panic can be hard to cure. I use a lot of different releases when I practice so I don't get too accustomed to how one goes off. You can always take your sight off and learn to just hold steady and let the shot happen, naturally you wanna be close if you don't have a sight on. You can also let a friend trigger your release for you. You just concentrate on drawing the bow and aiming, then the shot just happens.

That's the way it's supposed to feel:cool:

Dan

8. thehairlessone!

Good point Dan. I have several releases now and I would switch to another if I started having problems again. When you get too used to them you can anticipate the shot and that can cause alot of the problems. If you arent used to the release, then you cant anticipate the shot.

rick

9. poorman

Thanks guys. I have already changed releases. And I also went to a smaller release (scott little bitty goose). Sniper, you are right the longer I shoot the harder it gets. I usually shoot five shot groups then pull and shoot again. Maybe I will take down to three and rest in between. And I do quit when I get sloppy. I learned that a long time ago. Its just aggrevating know that all I have to lift my arm is 1/2 an inch and it just wont move!:mad:

10. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

Try turning your bottom limb bolt 1/4 -1/2 turn.

11. thehairlessone!

dont feel bad. I used to do the same thing. Sounds like you are in the right direction. You have to try different things until you find out what works for you.

chris had some good advice as well

rick

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

bring it up as close as you can to where you want it and then take a real deep breath and hold it, the bow should naturally rise a little bit and then release :)

13. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I too suffer from this from time to time. I blame it on 8 years in the Army aiming over iron rifle sights. I am so used to seeing the target just over the pin, that my brain tries to do the same thing with a bow.

My solution was to start close to the target, aim over the x, let the bow come down and try to hold on target. If I dropped below it, I would let down and start over. After enough let downs, you brain should get the message. I also use a true spot lens for indoor shooting. It has not pin and has helped me a ton..

14. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

How long did it take you to get used to using it? I've wanted to try one ever since they came out but I have never seen one in person. I really like the concept. :thumb:

15. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

About 5 seconds.....:laugh:

That lens has been the most valuable piece of archery gear I have ever bought. I dropped the first one I had and it shattered on the concrete floor of my garage. I didn't hesitate to buy another one as soon as I could. I used a #2 clarifier in my Superball Peep and I doubt I will ever switch lenses for indoor.

All that and I'm not PTP.....:peace:

16. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Try pivoting at the waist instead of trying to raise your arm. Once you centered the sight ring with the peep adjust aiming by pivoting your upper body.

17. Michael396

Michael396 Member

I change the trigger tension on my Scott release quite frequently. This tends to help me with not anticipating the release. Also, as mentioned above, try starting above the target and settling in (let the pin drop down to the target). It is natural for the pin to drop as you hold. It works well for me.

Michael

18. poorman

What will this do??

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Yep its definately TP. Get it taken care of before you start drive by shooting. For me blind bale and BT release helps. Good luck I hope you get rid of it soon.

20. poorman

Gonna give it a shot.

O.K. guys I am going to try some of this stuff. Thanks for all the good advice. I will let you know how it turns out.

Thanks,
    Ron