Home use bow press

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Camo, Apr 5, 2007.

1. Camo

Camo Junior Member

I'm a hoyt guy, and would like to get a good bow press for home use for minor repairs and such. My pro shop uses an Apple press, and I was also looking at the Sure Lock X-Press. Is one alot better than the other for Hoyt bows, namely my Vulcan w/ paralell limbs? Advice appreciated and needed.:noidea:

2. Camo

Camo Junior Member

Bump for info....:rockon:

3. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

I use the Bowmaster portable press with the split limb brackets for my Vectrix and it works great. Whats good about it is you can press the bow in small increments to that you can put less stress on the limbs.

4. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Has anyone here used one of those "Toad" press'?

5. Camo

Camo Junior Member

I'm looking for one that holds the bow for stuff like tying D loops and such too. What is the optional bottle jack on the side of the apple presses for?

6. BOWTECHER

BOWTECHER Member

The jack on the side is for parallel limb bows. There is a guy on here in the classifieds with a nice looking set up for sale for portable pressing. Looks as though it may be worth a try.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

In all honesty I was looking very closely at presses (if you do a search on here you'll find the thread with lots of great info) but I ended up deciding that for the amount I would use it there was no real value in having it.

Yeah it would be nice to be able to do my own work but my local guy is pretty good and already has all the stuff that I would need to buy for my home shop so I just take it to him.

It all comes down to cost. The press is just the tip of the iceberg... after adding up all the stuff that I felt would be a "need" (not a want) and only figuring 150.00 for the press I ended up with somewhere around 400.00 just in stuff I would need to keep on hand for "need"

I had a list somewhere but lost it...

basically:

Bow Press

Bow Press stand / new work bench

Bow Vise

laser level for arrow alignment

Peeps

Serving material

D-loop material

"c - wrench" (I don't know what its called but basically the wrench used to
    remove the cam axles

Allan-Wrenches / Hex Key set

And that isn't even everything. After lots of thinking I decided it wasn't worth it

8. tek

tek Senior Member

I have 3 presses that I use but if you are only using it sparingly for your bows and dont want to spend a lot of money you might look at the Bowmaster portable press with split limb adaptors. Its not the fastest press to use but it presses the bows from the limb tips only and I have found it to be very safe. You can also take it with you on hunting trips, etc. I've used it on my Vulcan and it works fine. Just a thought.

9. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I have an old apple and modified it to fit parallel limb bows. Added an extra hole in the arm base to get closer tp the limbs and bought 2 boat trail rollers that are made of teflon . Works awesome and cheap. spent $40.00 to upgrade. and bought used for $200.00. and never came close to torquing to high on my bow.

10. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

I just use a wrachet strap, $4.99 at harbor freight.

11. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

this post is useless w/o pics......

12. and safety glasses!:scared:

13. Camo

Camo Junior Member

That does look like the hot setup for me! If I am at home, I can use a threaded piece of round stock in a vice to hold the bow with the Bowmaster on it.....:rockon:
    Now one question.....How much does the bowmaster get in the way of say, working on a string, when it is on the quad limb brackets are being used? It seems it may run it's cables and jack screw right with the string....Does it? Do you have a pic of it on your Vulcan? I'd really like to see it if possible, as I think this is just what I NEED, and all that I really need to be truthful.:hail: Thanks for the info!

14. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

he isn't making them anymore - he got served with legal "cease and desist" type docs and he did

15. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

Man, they looked sweet too.

16. tek

tek Senior Member

The split limb brackets and the Bowmaster will sit between the string and cables on the Vulcan. I'd guess its about an inch below the string and resting slightly on the cables. I guess the only bad thing I can say about the Bowmaster when using it on the new Hoyts you have to remove the Stealth Shot to press it because its right in the way. But thats not a big deal either, just 2 set screws. Good luck in whatever you choose.

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

ha camo

I built my own press in a machine shop at work.
    it didnt cost me but about $50.00
    $29.00/wench at a marine dealership
    2-rubber roller's $2.25 ea.
    rope/1/4inch leather strap
    payed the shop $12.50 for the steel

it crank's from the center i felt like this is better than cranking on the limb's becouse it's the natural action of a bow.
    I have had atleast 500 or more bow's in this press. i worked out of my garage for 9year's with it without 1 breaking.
    you really have to know how to crank one down properly if your going to use one.sincerly & i mean sincerly,be carefull a friend of mine a shop worker lost an eye.