How a few of my buddies who are pros shoot Back tension releases

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Daniel Boone, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Daniel Boone

Daniel Boone Senior Member

Eric Griggs, Nathan Brooks and Chance all shoot there back tension like this. I was at a ASA pro am and had them show me. Hope you enjoy this good info. Guys its really no secret and magic.

I'll elaborate a little on what Dan is talking about here. To start with let me say that I strongly recomend setting a triggerless bt release with a good bit of travel. No disrespect to anyone who is successfull with a trigerless bt release and doesn't shoot this way, but I would say that virtually everyone at the top who is using a pure bt release is shooting it with travel. And...If your shooting it with travel you can not fire the release off back tension alone. You have to maintain back tension and that's important, but moving your hand and fingers is what makes that thing fire. The travel is important because it makes you stay active in the shot. You always keep pulling regardless of what the sight is doing. With a good bit of travel anticipation becomes a non-factor as well. For everyone who is shooting there release on the edge or have shot this in the past ask yourself this question. How many times have you been tenative with your release or had a hard time firing it in a pressure situation? Unless your lying to yourself this has happened to everyone who has shot a triggerless bt release set up light or with the clicker. Not to say it can't happen when you set them up with travel, but you know that you have to get after the release to make it fire so it forces you to be aggressive. I'll give you a great example of this. Nathan Brooks was in the shootoff in Vegas last year and let down after holding for a really long time. He got rid of the release in his hand and got a different one. After the fact I asked him what the deal was and he said he switched to a HEAVIER release. I was suprised at first, but when he explained it to me it made perfect sense. He was having problems getting it to fire and he knew once he swithed to something with even more travel that it would force him to be aggressive to get the release to fire. I know that this isn't going to work for everyone, but the topic came up so I figured I would add my thoughts.

Eric

2. Daniel Boone

Picture of Nathan pulling his

Just aim and turn the release.

Nathan is one of the best ever. Nicest guys on the tours. Many of these 3d pros are great guys and love helping archers. I knew when Nathan was 14 yrs old shooting with us men he had the right stuff. Team PSE has won there share this year.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2006

3. Daniel Boone

Bobby Ketcher

One of the nicest guys. He rotates the release to fire.

Keep archery simple.

4. Radar

Radar Story of my life

Man I guess I was moving in the wrong direction. I started using a bt release last winter during league. My scores dropped off alot in 300 rnd, and not so bad in 3D. I put it away and started using my thumb trigger again and everything came back. When I was using the bt I kept taking travel away. I have been using the bt since leagues ended and still not where I want to be but I'm getting there, Been to busy to go to alot of shoots this summer but have been shooting in my basement so maybe I will try putting more travel on it and see if that helps. thanks for the info

5. Big Dawg

Big Dawg Junior Member

I'm no expert on BT, but it seems that more travel makes me shoot better. I like the clicker because sometimes I fight the release and tense up. When it clicks I tell myself to relax and pull on through.

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Back Tension

I enjoy shooting my BT release but I just cannot get comfortable shooting it all the time. I miss my triggered hunting release after a couple of days and go back to it. With my BT I do concentrate harder on the target though.

7. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

What do you miss about it? The trigger or the strap?

8. jaws

jaws Junior Member

Hey DB I know I'm not a pro but you could have at least included me for giggles:laugh:

9. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

Thanks DB, thats some good stuff!!

10. BowhuntnHoosier

Well the trigger of course.:biggrin1: I just love to punch the trigger sometimes.:peace:

11. GreggWNY

GreggWNY Junior Member

I shoot a triggerless with so much travel that several pro's who tried it couldn't make it fire. I don't rotate the release. I anchor and increase back tension while slowly relaxing my release hand. I do not move my hand or my fingers...just relax them. That is what causes the release to rotate and fire but it is subconscious and undeliberate. If I consciously rotate the release I will not shoot good groups.I have shot with Eric Griggs and Nathan Brooks several times in the ASA ProAms and no doubt, those guys can shoot but although they intentionally rotate the release does not mean it's the only way to shoot.

12. Fury

Fury Member

What the *&%&^%^)( is Back Tension?

Ok what is it?
    Ya I'm a dumb ^&& .
    So Whats all the hubub Bub?

If it don't feel right why are so many into it?

My doctor always asked me Does that Hurt?
    I always said yes, then he replied " Then don't do that! "

Please explain this whole back tension thing to me.

13. Pinky

Pinky Senior Member

Simply stated...

Properly executed, a back tension release fires as a surprise. The shooter is focusing, and, aiming as "back tension" is applied. The BT releases have no trigger...thus the shooter does not anticipate the firing of the release.

If you would like to feel the muscles that are used to make a BT release fire, here's a simple test. Grip an arrow with both hands about 6 inches apart and hold it at chest level. Keep your elbows at the same level as your shoulders. Then try to pull the arrow apart. That is "back tension".

If you are using a BT release, the release will fire on it's own as you are focusing, and, aiming. It takes some practice to get the whole BT thing together. It is a handy way of eliminating "target panic" and "trigger punching".

I hope that helps,

Pinky

PS: Pm me if you have any questions.

14. Fury

Fury Member

Thanks

Hey thanks.

It does not sound like a good thing to me.
    I wanna know, & have control over when that arrow leaves my bow.

15. Radar

Radar Story of my life

I have gone to a BT and it is not bad, sometimes I get a little frustrated with it, I have put a little more travel on it and it has seemed to get me more relaxed and focused. I actually am doing what chris told me to do when I was in his shop for league last winter. He told me that when he switched he told himself that it was going to be the only thing he shot with for a year. So that is what I am doing Its getting better. I will have to pick my thumb trigger up at some point because I have to get ready for hunting season. I have also found out that when I picked my hunting bow up and used my thumb trigger that I am using it more fluidly(if thats a word) Because of using the back tension. I guess what I am trying to say is they are kinda scary at first but with practice it gets better. anyone can ask chris I was going nuts last winter because of that thing.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

I do shoot better with my BT release but have to say it scared the crap out of me the first few days.:scared: Then it all kinda started coming together. I am still battling a little bit of TP but it is coming along. Right now I am shooting at 10yards and blind baling alot. But sometimes I just can't resist stepping back and letting one fly. I know I should not do this per Griv, but cannot help it. :peace:

17. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

Looks like the debate is firing back up on this topic over on AT. Nathan Brooks and Eric Griggs are both in on the conversation. Maybe someone should get them to come over here and explain as well!! Check it out http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=353438

18. Daniel Boone

Im not arguing with them

I ask and they gave everyone an honest answer. You can try it ot not, seems to be working for them.:peace:
    DB

19. JBUTLER

JBUTLER Senior Member

good stuff!!

I thought the interesting part was that while both Nathan and Eric may have a lot of travel in their BT to keep them active with their hand during the shot, you don't really notice them pulling with their hand. Not saying they don't but its just not real obvious. I guess thats part of the difference between pros and amatuers!!

20. Hkdfrlife

Hkdfrlife Senior Member

Back tension release

Started out years back with a fletch hunter. Ended up with TP so bad that I quit shooting any type of targets. Kept freezing off spot or punching off target. My boy and his friends got me shooting again and I can't believe how much I,ve missed it. Setting up a new Trykon to shoot in the open class, and have been trying to master a Truball Ulta. I guess I've been going at it backwards also. Keep trying to adjust it right on the edge. Like I said in another post, I've got GT 22's buried all over the place behind my house due to misfires when settling in or trying to let down. When everything works right this BT thing is truely a thing of joy. Read about a hydraulic release. At full draw you set it and just keep aiming until it releases. Should be here in a couple days. I'll let you know what I think