How big does he have to be for you to shoot.

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bowhuntinfordeer, Nov 6, 2007.

1. bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer Junior Member

I am a bit curious about some other areas of the country and what it takes for a buck to be a shooter there. In my neck of the woods which is Southwest Iowa it is pretty easy to come in contact with several 160 to 170 class bucks in a season. This is in the stand traveling thru rutt in the area you could see as many as 10 in this range in an evening. I am very blessed to be able to hunt where I do. I have anywhere from 10 to 15 stands out each year and usually only get to hunt 3 or four of them due to the fact that I run into a shooter in several of them every year and never close the deal or stay in that area until I get to. Many times I have passed up 140+ bucks even tonight I passed up a very nice 130 class at 5 yards. This was easy due to the fact that a buddy of mine was hunting one of my stands this morning and when leaving it he saw a 170 class buck underneath of my stand. He must have been sniffing my decoy. I don't know but he did not come thru tonight maybe in the morning wish me luck.

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Dude I need your phone number, address and directions. If you need some of those 160 to 170 class deers thinned out I'm your huckelberry. :thumb:

3. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

4. bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer Junior Member

No problem I like to take people out.

I have over 10 stands out now. Maybe next year you could yell at me and it might work out. I am serious about the big boys around here. I know my buddy at the bow shop said he had over 10 different Pope and young bucks on trail camera in the area he hunts in and it isn't but about 10 miles from me. They are all over buck to doe ratio may not be so great but I kill a ton of them too. Still it is nothing to see ten bucks between 120 and 150 class in a morning. This is a typical outing.

5. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Sweet:biggrin1:
    maybe you could post us some pics of tha non shooters,
    it would give something ta drool over

6. goldflinger

goldflinger Senior Member

I believe around here a Quality Deer is determined by adding spread and points. 8+17=25, 9+16=25 or whatever. I think the majic minimum number is 25.

7. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

:laugh: :laugh: around here....as long as their off the teet.

8. RunMich

RunMich Junior Member

In my 10 years of hunting I have only seen two bucks 130+. I shot one of them in 1996' with my bow and the other one was last week where I hunt now. There are good bucks here in Michigan. The buck I shot in 96' was on a friends leased land, he invited me to hunt there a few times. I no longer hunt with him. And the one I just saw this week was on my wifes grandparents 80 acre farm. Which they just now this year started letting me hunt there. They have about 4 guys in the family that have hunted there for over 20 years but they are only gun hunters.
    I see many very nice bucks in many feilds driving to and from my small hunting spot. I just can't hunt those lands. My father use to have about 40 acre I hunted and a saw small bucks almost every hunt there, never nothing of any size. But he sold the place. And its been slim pickens every since. I just don't know anyone to ask if I can hunt on there land. The places I have stopped and asked there is always someone else already hunting it or they just don't want any hunters there.

The good news is, my wife said as soon as we get the car and the equity loan on our house paid off I can buy my own hunting property. They will be paid off within the next 7 years !!!!

9. Michael396

Michael396 Member

I have to agree with this. I try to shoot does only, but won't pass on a buck either.

Michael

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

130+ on public ground, and 140+ on private ground. Try to let the 3 1/2s walk but sometimes its hard!:frusty:

11. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Diddo to BuckeyeRed

12. hoyt_hunter007

hoyt_hunter007 Senior Member

I live in SW Iowa also, but Im in college full time and work on campus, so my hunting time is somewhat limited this year. My general rule is 4 years old or 140" and hes getting poked. :lol:

13. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Wipe the milk off his lips and let him have it. :lol: Honestly, I'll pass on button bucks, but I'll shoot a spike!

Ben

14. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

I wish i had some of the options some of you have but i don't.I've taken 1 P&Y from were i hunt and i've seen a few more....but they are far and few inbetween.My deer only freezer will hold 3 deer and when it's full....i'm done and if i held out for a 100 class let alone a 130 i'd be eatin a lot of that store bought junk.

15. I missed

I missed Senior Member

thats what its like in atleast northern MI the biggest buck to come off my property in a looooong time was a 10 that scored about 100"

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

How do you guys get them to hold still to measure their racks and how do you get them to show ID to verify age before you shoot???

I let a 110ish 8pt walk the other day. He might not get so lucky if he walks by again....:cool:

17. I missed

I missed Senior Member

i wish i had that choice:Cry:

18. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

No you don't.........you wish a 150ish would just walk in and make you decision simple.........

:rockon:

19. beenfarr

beenfarr Senior Member

Yeah, I sometimes hunt in Lewiston, and deer seem to be few and far between. If your a meat hunter, and only have a week to hunt, you can't pass on too much. But lower MI, there are a lot of deer. My buddy has permission to hunt these farms where it's not uncommon to see 30 deer a day.

20. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Just put a little either in there bait pile...........:peace: