How Big Is Too Big???

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by ilbowhunter, Jan 9, 2008.

1. ilbowhunter

ilbowhunter 2008 BEAR LIGHTS OUT

I am trying to find out what I need to get a grant to start a business. One of the things I need to figure out is "How big do I need my building to be"? I was thinking of going with a 300' by 300' 2 story building so I can do the pop-up archery upstairs and a smaller range downstairs for tuning bows. I would also like to do sales and sevice in the downstairs portion. Would this be too big?? Someone told me that a building that is 300' by 120' would be plenty big enough. What do you guys and girls think is the right size??? Let me know and this would help me out greatly.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Well a football field is 300 ft so I think that might be a little big.....:noidea:

3. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

If you make it that big, I'll make the drive to shoot there once a year just to see it!:biggrin1: :biggrin1:

4. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Even the 120 x 300 would be almost the size of a foot ball field.....that is a big building.

5. IChim2

Do you have any idea what the cost would be just for the building ........man i hope you know a lot of rich archer's....for enterence fee's.

6. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

Thats real big, your overhead will be out the roof. You won't make enough per month to pay the lights, heat and air, let alone Ins.

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Should be fine, but it maybe kind of big. But better to be to big then to have to add on later. I want to build a 300X300, with and up stairs and full basement one day. Up stairs Bow and gun shop, ground level ranges, Basemant Gun range and Quick Stand archer mfg. :smokin:

8. IChim2

When you guys get these built and open....send me a pm....sounds like a good vacation trip.

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yeah i doubt you would ever be able to make the payments, let alone a profit......

it will suck, when the bank comes and takes it ........

another thing is you do relize how small the number of archers are in the whole country let alone where ever your building this......???

I dont think its a secret that the numbers of archers are shrinking....

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

You would have to go 350' to get a true 100 yrds... :dizzy:
    you need to add in the shooters area and the bullet trap...:D

11. J.C.

J.C. New Member

he's applying for a grant. Free money!............:peace: :peace:

12. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thats going to bea real big grant......

13. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

just rember that the tech/sales areais going to eat up some room. 60yds by 40yds wide would give enough room with alot of shooting lines.

14. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I know this Grant theory sounds great but take it from a fellar that knows more than he ever cares to know about grants. Applying for a Grant and getting a Grant is two totally different things. If you do happen to get a grant ya better make sure you keep records and use every dollar of it for the original purpose because they can come in and audit you at anytime. We get grants for stuff at work all the time and most of the time they are a bigger pain in the neck than they are worth...:cool:

15. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I was being sarcastic.......:noidea:

16. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I was just trying to pass on a little words of wisdom JC...:noidea: I been there and done that...:rockon:

17. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

300 x 300 is a BIG building...It's always good to start with more than you need, it's cheaper than adding on later....

18. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

I just did a quote on 50Wx100Lx16H

the empty building was $32,667.32

so you would have to double it high.........and go 6 wide and 3 long,.......

that would be roughly $588,000.00.........

I am going to guess that w/concrete that you would need a minimum of .......

750,000 to get a building the size of the one......

you might as well just apply for a million, and have some money to pay the first years taxes and over head.......

19. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

As a former small business owner, I really do wish you luck. Make sure there are enough people in your area to support what you are thinking of. Look closely at the demographics.

I was told if I wanted to make a million dollars in the trials motorcycle industry, I'd have to start with 2 million......:doh:

20. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

We always said the same thing about drag racing...:doh: :laugh: