How can I tell if my draw length is to long?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Southernfryedyankee, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Southernfryedyankee

Southernfryedyankee Senior Member

Are there tell tale signs that show DL is to long.

2. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

What makes you think it's long???
    is your anchor point roughly under your eye? Is your bow are locked straight out?

3. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It could be long...it looks like your wrist is up...you could try to shorten your release first...
    View attachment 3966

4. Southernfryedyankee

I notice if I shorten my release my accuracy is off, usually my index and middle finger knuckle is on or behind my earlobe

5. Southernfryedyankee

OH and in that picture I am using a draw check tool so its like half the length of my trufire judge

6. Southernfryedyankee

I also notice that I am at 99% stretch when I draw my bow back, It just seems like with other peoples form they have leeway room

7. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I personally think it looks to long. Have you used all those fantastic formulas to get close to what you should be? (2.5 X wingspan)

8. Southernfryedyankee

I just said I was comfortable when the guy at the sporting good store asked me. I just notice that it seems like my string is always ON my face and thats why I may be having inconsistency in accuracy

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Louie
    It looks somewhat long ol Bud
    Try puttin' tha string on tha tip of yore nose and yore thumb under yore jaw bone.
    This will help ya keep yore ancor point from floatin' around.
    Keep it tight to yore cheek.

10. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

It looks long to me too...
    Do you need to change cams on that, or modules

11. Holy Smokes

Hey L, ya need a little bend in tha bow arm at that elbow :biggrin1:

12. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The string should be touching the end of your nose and your bow arm should be slightly bent...

13. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Looks long to me. Your draw arm elbow should be higher than your hand. Your nock should be a little closer under the corner of your eye . The string should be closer to the tip of your nose and not alongside your cheek.

14. Southernfryedyankee

I may have to try some different things. I have a draw stop on my cam could that help

15. Holy Smokes

Don't know much bout them bows there.

16. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

That should be wingspan divided by 2.5.:hug:

Your DL does look a little long. I would go down about an inch but from that angle it is hard to tell. Your bow arm looks locked and the string looks like it is well up on your nose. Put a little bend in your bow elbow. And have someone take a pic parrallel to you and the bow. So we can see exactly where the nock is in relationship to your eye.

17. Timmer

Timmer Member

Looks long to me. I've found myself become more accurate at a shorter draw length. In the past 3 bows I've gone from 29" down to 27.5". Then again not all bows are the same. I also shoot with a slightly bent elbow. At full draw, the string just touches the tip of my nose. Biggest mistake some archers make is to shoot a bow with too long of a draw. I might lose a little speed by going down an inch or so, but I'd rather hit where I aim with a slower arrow than miss it with a fast one.

18. bowcraze30

bowcraze30 Senior Member

my DLs 170? :doh: :doh: :laugh:

19. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Wow...1.5" that's a big difference...

20. Timmer

Timmer Member

Dropped a full inch going from my Razortec to the Guardian. Maybe the accuracy increase is just due to having an awesome bow.