How do I know if my drawlength is right?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bow-regard, Jun 1, 2004.

1. bow-regard

bow-regard Member

I am 5' 10" tall. My bow is a Liberty VFT and my draw length is set for 29.5".
    I shoot a Scott mongoose release. Someone at the range said my drawlength was too long.

How do I know if my draw length this is right?

2. Jefro

Jefro Member

draw lenght

bow-regard-

How do you anchor? Where is your release hand in relation to your face?
    Is your bow arm bent or straight? If you can provide a few details, we may be able to help you.

3. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

One method is the wingspan check. Now don't take this as the be-all end-all, but it will tell you if you are in the ballpark.

This takes two people. With your arms outstretched to the side (so you look like a T), palms facing the front, measure tip of middle finger to tip of middle finger. Take that number, then subtract 15" (the average mans chest), then divide by 2.

This isn't perfect but usually pretty close. If your shooting 29.5" and the chart says 28.5, I would say there is probably a problem.

As I said above, this is not a perfect system as everyones shape, size, & frame are different.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2004
  4. Art

Art Junior Member

I also find the wingspan method to be the best, and most accurate because there can be no variation based on form.

5. glenny

glenny Senior Member

There is many ways to change, lengthen or shorten your draw,a loop,release adjustability/different one,cam adjustment.Most people are going with what Chris was refering to,and low and behold it is close for most.Some want it a little shorter for hunting clothes, or where the string is on the nose or anchor point is best.I just shortened mine up about a 1/4.For now I feel great with it,I firmly beleive comfort is the key to drawlength.I also feel your shooting 10 x's in a row compared to 4 will tell the story for most.Don't feel shy to change your drawlength one bit,you may have to sight in all over again 50 times.It's the fiftieth time that will do it for me.You know what I mean?
    I noticed shortening it a bit keeps my holding arm a little more flexable with my aim,instead of locking on a perticular spot I don't want to be on,I can bend it a tad and move it around how I want to a little better.

6. IowaBuck

IowaBuck Junior Member

one way I learned how to do this is get a yard stick and a friend put the yard stick in the small indention in you throat take both your hands and with out streaching reach out on the yard stick, this will give you a good draw length to use, If all else fails go to your local pro shop most of them have a bow set up with an arrow when you pull the bow back the measurement on the arrow tells you your draw lenght :)

7. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

well someone help him out

8. bfisher

bfisher Senior Member

As Chris said, the wingspan method is going to get you the closest in the beginning. Then it's always wise to have a bow that is adjustable so you can play around a bit. If yu are of fairly normal proportioned at 5'10" you should be shooting just about a 28" draw. If your bow is 1 1/2" too long for you then you are like the majority of shooters and will never attain your best potential because the bow doesn't fit you.

The bow with the marked arrow in most archery shops is only good if there is somewhere there to watch you and show you where and how to anchor so you don't draw too far. Shop employees like this are few and far between.

The real test is in finding how solidly you hold on target. If the draw length is too long you'll have a tendency to wander around on the spot in a figure 8 pattern. Movement will be large and slow. Too short and the movement will be less, but jerky. Get it right and thee should be a minimum of movement and you'll lock more solidly on the spot without consciously trying. This takes a lot of time and adjusting, often making 1/8" adjustments. Once you find the sweet spot measure the draw length of the bow and never forget it.

To find this you should have a bow that is adjustable. Not draw length specific.

9. QSA

got you lol

10. showtime hoyt

showtime hoyt Junior Member

Draw length

Use your wingspan in inches divided by 2.5

11. Your being a bad boy:peace:

12. SinGin

SinGin Banned

:
    QSA, have to be totaly bored to bring up a 4 year old post :laugh: Hows the eye doing anyway

13. QSA

best it is going to get. I look throw my peep sight and my scope looks darker.

14. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Quick Stand business must be down.......cause you have way too much free time.:doh: