How do you get over...

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Dredly, Oct 13, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The absolute best day of hunting you've ever had turning into a not recovering an awesome 6 - 8 pointer. I'm pissed

2. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I usually look and look and look and look until I feel that I have done all I can to find the animal. If I don't then, it was not meant to be. I still feel bad for a while, but it isn't so bad. I don't see how anyone gets over making a bad shot and looking for an hour and calling it quits....:noidea:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

we looked for over 3 hours (4 of us) lost the trail which was pretty weak to begin with, kept going on the trail he was on and I jumped him. he got up and just hopped off. Hopefully He'll be fine. he didn't show any sign of blood where he was laying and the trail had dried up 1/4 mile before I jumped him

4. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Sounds like he might make it. I shot one last year high and back. There was good blood so like an idiot I started tracking about 15 minutes after the shot. I jumped him and he took off. Ended up walking about 500yds before we lost blood on the edge of several hundred acres that had just be logged. I looked 3 or 4 hours that night and went back for another hour the next morning. Never found him. Made me sick for quite a while.

5. Werd

Werd Senior Member

you win some you lose some. what broadheads are you using

6. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Muzzy 100 gr. got a full pass through but it looked like mostly fat and some minor guts on the shaft. I think I hit high :(

7. red44

red44 Senior Member

If guts, he's toast. Been there. Best you can do is give him a day and try again. It sucks.

8. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I agree he is toast. get back out there now or tomorrow morning, you owe it to the deer. Work circle patterns from the last time you saw him. As far as getting over it, it takes till your next kill.

9. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

It's a crappy feeling not recovering!!!!

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

his blood trail disappeared over 1/4 mile before we saw him. when I looked where he had been bedded down there was no blood and he took off into some insanely thick woods at full speed without showing any sign of slowing... there is nothing to track him off of.

11. red44

red44 Senior Member

Gut...brown, green, any odor? What did the arrow look like. You sure it was gut? (trying to think positive here). You said you think you hit high, but where in relation to the front leg? How was he standing?

12. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Dude sorry to hear. I pray I never have to deal with the feelings you are right now. Time heals all wounds buddy. Give it your best shot at recovering him, thats all you can do.

13. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Happened to me a few yrs. back. Found him after couple hrs. on the 2nd day and the 'yotes had found him first. Not only wasted a deer but feed the d*** 'yotes too. Bad day all around.:frusty:

14. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

That sucks...
    And that's all I have to say about that...:frusty:

I know your pain...I lost a doe a few years back...

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

not much odor, mostly white fatty substance, where I thought I hit I apparently didn't, he was broadside about 15 yards away walking very slowly. blood trail was followable but never "good"

16. red44

red44 Senior Member

Fatty tissue alone, w/out gut, may be another story. If it did'nt get into any part of the stomach/digestion system, he may be OK. Fat will plug a hole and not bleed, a high hit w/out veins/arteries may clot up quick. I would still be hunting in the area for a few days to see what you find. Gut hits they usually don't run like the wind either, so you might not have done that.

17. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Ha,dredly!

Some people say im the tracking guru!
    Ive found almost every deer dead and alive that people in my hunt club have given up on,and they kill around 80 a year so you can figure out how many they wound or could not find!
    You hit the deer 2 far back!
    White stringy matter is comming from the stomach lineing.
    The deer has 2 issues he has to lay down and when he does it will take any where from 2 to 10 hours for him laying there to die but he will.
    My son shot a 6pt exactly like this 2 years ago when i seen the arrow we left!
    Came back 4 hours latter found the buck bedded some 75yds from where he shot him but still alive but parilized and couldnt get on his feet i shot him in his bed!
    If you go after a stomach shot deer all youll do is keep jumpin him.
    If i was there and you remember where you last jumped him,i could find him now 100%
    Let me tell you what id do and maybe it could help ya!
    When hes stomach shot he will be moveing up hill,he wont go to water because he cant drink.
    When you jumped the last time he probably went only 200yds and bedded back down, go the direction he headed and walk in a stright line out to 500yds. if ya left him alone when ya jumped him the last time you will find him if you kept after him he will keep goin 2 to 500yds for? 2 to 10 hours!
    Thats the key to tracking ya need to understand!
    When ya shoot a deer where ever ya hit him: Heart lungs hes gonna have maybe 30 secounds to 5 minutes of life and how far can he go 20yds or 200yds alot depends on him running away from the danger,when i shoot them i try to not let them know what happened and they go 50yds,in the past ive had one drop in sight and by trying to shoot them again have them see me jump up and run 200yds and crash! see the problem ya got to leave them alone to let them die in the shortest distance possible!
    Now the deer you shot if he didnt see,smell or hear you and you didnt jump him when you got out of your stand to get the arrow or go look!
    You could have found him 5 hours later dead some 200yds from you.
    Ya cant get in a hurry!
    Read your arrow!
    And youll get over it on the next shot at a deer get back out there!
    And when ya shoot another give him time to die!
    I dont move for 45minutes not even to look at my arrow in the ground,its hard but i dont!:biggrin1:
    If i can help you E-Mail me i give ya my # sorry guy!

18. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

From the blood trail it looks like he walked about 1/2 a mile + before bedding down. I "jumped" him out of his bed about 3 hours after the initial shooting. we gave him 35 to bleed out. I thought I had a much better hit.

the red square is where I shot him. the green trail is all downhill, the yellow is uphill. the blue square is where he was bedded (no sign of blood) and the blue line is approx where he ran. Their is a fairly steep grade there and I only saw him jump twice but he didn't look like he was having any trouble moving.

We found where they were bedded down but there was no blood or any sign of injury. The guys that helped me track said the white substance was fat :frusty:

All the fields you see have been fallow for the last 3 - 4 years and are now waist high weeds + young sapling growth. The woods that was headed for are very thick pine, nearly impossible to walk through

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

map :Cry: :doh:

20. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

O.k.

Also check the line of trees in the corner to your left of the thick woods!
    He may have taken a dive to the left!:biggrin1:
    You should find him if he's died!:peace:
    With a clear head today on what happened yesterday have faith!
    :wave: