How many of you fletch your own arrows?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by bowhuntinfordeer, Nov 13, 2007.

1. bowhuntinfordeer

bowhuntinfordeer Junior Member

I just started fletching my own arrows this year. A buddy of mine used to make arrows as a side business mostly traditional wooden arrows. He had a Jo Jan muntifletcher he had never used and an arrow saw. He gave them both to me a few years ago and I just got around to trying them. I am working on converting my arrows from quick spins to blazers right now. I am fletching them right hand helical. This seems to be a bit tougher than the quick spins were to fletch straight. They have to set up on the jig longer. Has anyone else had a similiar experience.

2. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Yeah I fletch my own. Blazers are more hearty than quickspins, but don't notice any difference in glue time. How much helical are you putting them on at? They can't stand much, I have always had luck at a slight helical and offset.

3. CSS Shooter

CSS Shooter Senior Member

Yeah I do my own arrows. Dura Vane 3 inch straight. Fly great.

4. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

I used to, until I found FOB's!!!!

5. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

What happens when you shoot a deer with fobs? Do they just pop off? Kinda wondering about my lumenoks and fobs.... don't think that would work out very well. Not to mention shooting a fob through a whisker biscuit:doh: I am planning on putting on a qad for next year, mabey fobs too:noidea:

6. Liv2Bowhunt

Liv2Bowhunt Senior Member

I have a jo jan, and i shoot blazers, i fletch them straight, works well for me. I shoot 100 gr. muzzy's and 100 gr. Mx3's, great broadhead flight. I have an SQ2, 70 lbs, 27 inch arrow, blazer vanes, and easton nocks.

7. Cameron

Cameron Senior Member

Yep, they just pop off. I know several people are using lighted nocks with them as well. As for the WB, that will be the show stopper.

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Doing a helical with the fairly stiff/short Blazers is a bit of a challenge, especially when trying to do that on a small diameter arrow like an Easton Axis... So your experience is not surprising to hear at all.

Ron

9. timberghost

timberghost Senior Member

Fletch my own arrows. For my friends also.:wave:

10. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Been There!

Been Fletching my own arrows and everyones arrows around me for over 20years.
    You name it i have run into it.
    The glue is the key.
    On alluminum i stil use slow dryin Fletch-tite.
    On carbon and aluminium carbon composit or graphite i use Steel Force-Beyond Bond its the fastest and works best for me.
    Especially on Blazer Vanes when applying to Blazer Wraps.
    Sets in about 15 seconds.
    I can apply the wrap and 3 vanes in around 5 to 10 minutes.:biggrin1:
    And i use a Jo-Jan Multi fletcher 6 at a time so i can do a doz in under an hour.:biggrin1:

11. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

here..here.. fletch, cut, and tune..

12. j3dGuam

j3dGuam Senior Member

Been fletching arrows for over ten years borrowing other peoples jig. I finally bought my own Bitz jig.:peace:

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yup.......do all mine and a few freinds myself.......

14. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Yup me to fer 24 yrs and counting:biggrin1:

15. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

I do when I find a shop owner that will let me use his jigs :D

16. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

Don't do it anymore, I am a FOBernaut now. Love them cute little things.

17. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

all you need is 1 Bitz jig and a tube of Bohning Platinum. Forget about gimmick vanes.get Dura vanes or Bohning x vanes.

18. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Yep, I fletch my own too. The arizona ez fletcher is very simple to use. Just make sure you don't use too much glue:doh: :doh:

19. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

I do when my archery technician lets me use his Bitz's.:hug: Thanks Cody.:biggrin1:

20. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

Bought a fletcher a couple months ago but haven't tried it out yet but as soon as the season is over...going to try my hand at it....should be interesting:laugh: