How many of you utilize foodplots?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by BuckeyeRed, Feb 11, 2008.

1. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

How many of you utilize foodplots on your hunting property and what do you plant?

I am planning on putting one in and looking at either Maximum (brassicas) or Clover plus for a 3-5 acre patch. Has anyone from the N. Illinois / S. Wisconsin area used brassicas w/ good deer response? Charlie Weis mentioned that if deer were exposed to a new plant they tend to ignore or avoid it.

2. not me, I like to spot and stalk for now.

3. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

i dont use them as of right now but i will in the future

4. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

We plant 40 to 60 acres total each year. Mainly oats for late season and winter forage and clovers and chicorys for October bow hunting. Still tuff to beat regulaer old soybeans in these parts though.

5. stoneridgeilbuckguide

stoneridgeilbuckguide New Member

Good Advise--soybeans are annuals and are still a great attractant and excellent protein source. Alfalfa a perennial will always work and is a very good forage throughout even the winter. In your part of the country white and red clover are perennials that work great. The white or Ladino clover will stay with you for more than 3 years. Red will only last at best two years. brassicas are simply turnips. The deer will mow them once they develop a taste. There are also forage varieities like Paja but the old purple top will work as well. Don't forget to soil test , lime and apply the necessary fertilzer. Corn in northern Illinois will supply winter nutrients and is always great for helping them get through the winter. The great thing about a food plot is you do not have to hunt it. You can supply food for tuff times and they make great observation areas. Would be glad to suggest more if wanted.
    Annuals only last one growing season--perennials grow for more than one

Last edited: Feb 11, 2008
  6. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

I know corn and beans are the staple that makes big Midwest deer tick. The farm I hunt is over 800 acres all rolling w/ corn, beans, and alfalfa thru out. I know the basics, I'm an Agronomist. :laugh:
    I'm looking for something that would work the best to pull the deer off those fields to hit this plot. Sounds like Rapes and turnips would make a good destination crop?

7. stoneridgeilbuckguide

Sorry Mr. Agronomist you did not state your education

I do not think either will pull them off Alfalfa but if you plant sugar beets then that will work. But you had better fence them with electric fence or every deer in the country will be there and they will not last long. I guess you knew that also.

8. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

My friends and I put in a mixture of clover two years ago and are happy with it. It does bring deer in and KEEPS them there to offer a good shot. The spot we put it is in a 60 yard path between two strips of timber. Before deer would jog through the opening and it was hard to get a shot off or two stop them to get a high percentage shot. Now when deer come through they will stop and feed for awhile. However, clover is a very demanding crop. You must stay on it and keep it mowed to keep weeds from overtaking it. One thing to help with weeds is to plant some oats with it, they will be your cover crop to help out choke out any weeds before the clover can take over.
    We are looking at planting one two more small plots this spring. Not quite sure if it will be more clover, beans or turnips.

9. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Honestly, thanks for your help I do appreciate the advise. And I wasn't trying to come off as a jerk about my profession, that's why I used a "laugh" character instead of a "roll eyes" one, it was just a joke.

Sorry that you took it the wrong way.....

10. stoneridgeilbuckguide

Ok, I accept and I wish you well with your plots.

11. Hoyt1986

Hoyt1986 GIT R-DONE!!!!!!

Brassica is AWSOMEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEe we have planted it along with rape at our place and the deer ABSOLUTLY TEAR IT UP!!!!! So hint, hint...........:peace:

12. jdawg240

jdawg240 BOWNUTS

My experince with turnips did not go well. In fact I have 2 acres in now that they never touched. Sugar beets are tuff to grow..Ive heard rumor RR sugar beets are coming soon. In fact Im trying to get some. If you hunt 800 acres of crops I would concentrate on plots after harvest. Thats a lot of bushels to compete with. I wouldnt know where to start.

13. RxBowhunterKS

RxBowhunterKS Paddle in water

I made a couple small food plots last year. I used Imperial whitetail products as well as Biologic. My problem is they were too small and the deer ate them before they could get fully established. (They were 20 yards x 30 yards apiece.) Last year all the work was done with hand tools but this year I will be using an atv and enlarging the two small plots as well as putting in 4 or 5 plots on other properties.

Here is my opening day Missouri buck shot over one of the small plots.

14. STRO

STRO get'n rid of target panic

Isn't it very rewarding to take a deer off a food plot you worked so hard on. Makes the harvest a little more meaningful and satisfactory. Congrats on the deer, opening day, nonetheless.

15. RxBowhunterKS

RxBowhunterKS Paddle in water

Seriously! It does. The previous year I saw very few deer on this farm and decided to try food plots to try to hold them/attract them more. When this guy showed up on opening day I couldn't resist. He never showed up on the trail cam either prior to his appearance. There are several that I have pics of that will be dandies this year if they survived.