how to enter stand in middle of timber?

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by jwilkey84, Jun 28, 2008.

1. jwilkey84

jwilkey84 New Member

I have been bowhunting my grandad's land for 3 years now, and there are some really nice bucks runnning around out there, but I have yet to bag one with the bow. I have a stand that is in the timber, and for the most part I have been using it for early morning hunts. I get there about an hour before daylight and just walk in as quietly as I can, and hope that the deer I do rustle, lay back down since they cannnot see me. The problem is, I can see deer constantly crossing a place where 3 ditches all come together, and I want a stand there. It is about 200 yards deeper into the timber than my current stand. My question is am I being an idiot by walking through a bedding area during the darkness to get to a stand that I know will produce deer sightings? How is the best way to go about getting to my preferred location? I know the deer are there, but I hate rustling them on my way in. I mean, do I need to get in the stand the night before and camp out in the tree to avoid scaring the deer!! Or do I neeed to place my stand on the outside of the timber and shoot them on the way out? The problem with that is, I never know which way they are going to take off in the morning. there are literally hundreds of deer paths where I hunt. There are really mature bucks, and I would like to shoot one. this year I was chasing a 12 point typical with split G3's. The year before that I had my eye on a 16 point non typical. I just cant outsmart these deer! I am new to this forum, so I will add some pics of the deer in my area and sheds I have found. I would like some ideas on stand placement as well thanks. Maybe some techniques that some of you have used in the past?

http://s281.photobucket.com/albums/kk205/ownerator84/deer/

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

:welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

great looking sheds.

hard to say about your stand location without being able to see the property, but I would try to not disturb bedding areas. where do the deer eat? any agricultural fields on or near your land?

3. jwilkey84

jwilkey84 New Member

there are fields to the east, south, west, and even the north if you go far enough. That is part of my problem with not knowing which direction they will go in the morning.

4. phillip

phillip Hog wild

Comeing in at dark is the way to go,this will keep deer from seeing you.
    Just as important is your scent control. Try some fox urine for cover this will help. It sounds like these ditches are a good funnel area,I would surely try to get a stand in range. Is there any way to access one of the ditches from down range? this way you can use the cover of the ditch to get in and out.
    I am assuming the ditch is somewhat deep.
    When leaveing your stand in the day stalk your way out, maybe blow on a grunt call a few times while watching the timber around you. You may bring one of these big guys into range for a shot when they come to grunt call.
    Take your time stalking out, use cover scent,blow that grunt,and keep those eyes open and you may fill your tag when you least suspect it.
    This has payed off big for me many times in the past.
    Hey good luck. and if all fell's wait for the rut and lay down some mock scrapes, lay a line of about 6 scrapes 50 yard's apart a couple weeks before the rut gets into full swing, put some dominent buck scent in each one every few days. then when it comes time to hunt put some doe estrus in the one's in range of your stand. what i do is hang a scrape dripper on each scrape so i dont have to keep going in every few days, this will be your best bet. you can get them about 20.00 dollers each. They will last 6 to 7 days before you will have to add scent.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  5. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

You have a problem everybody wishes they had I would hunt the morning hunts about 200 yards in from the fields the big buck are already in the woods small bucks & does will stay in the fields or on the edges of them til after morning light .Try to get between the fields and if you know where the bedding areas are?
    Evening hunts I seem to see the deer move into the fields with the wind and more in the open remembering that that big buck will be the last to enter this all being pre rut. I do not hunt the same stand more than two day in a row and your best chances are the first time you hunt that area after that you are letting the deer know you are there.

6. hilltophunter

hilltophunter Junior Member

Without seeing the lay of the land......

How big is the property? Is there a way to hunt deer on the fringes of the timber in the pm? If it where me I would only hunt in the bedding areas once maybe twice the entire season. When you said there where 3 ditches I am thinking the timber has some steep areas to it? With that you really need to pay attention to the thermals and wind direction. Another question what kind of stands are you using? when do you set them? BE SURE TO BE AS SCENT FREE AS POSSIBLE as well Good luck and keep us posted.

7. jwilkey84

jwilkey84 New Member

the property is huge...I mean, around here you just have lots of timber, ponds, creeks, and bean/corn fields for literally miles, with a few gravel roads. there is really no good way to pattern the deer....which is another problem I am having. I will watch big bucks early in late summer/early fall and as soon as the rut is on, they disappear and I begin to see other deer I have never seen in the area. My grandfather actuallly sold his farm to a rich man who actually has about 3500 acres of land that is all connected, which also connects to a state game reserve that is probably a couple thousand acres also. Yes these are some steep ditches in the timber. I hang homemade steel stands, that can never rot. I usually hang them in july and august and then once I put it up it stays there forever. Unless of course it produces no deer sightings. I usually wear some scent lok base layers and spray my clothes with some carbon stuff. I am not sure about the thermals you mention. I currently have 5 stands up and it seems like they always walk right under the one that I am not sitting in. i wish I could have some "experts" look at an aerial photo of the land and tell me where the goldmines are!!! But I guess thats why it is called hunting, it's not an exact science.

8. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

http://maps.live.com/?mkt=en-ca
    you can look at any place you want zoom in to 30 yards away

9. OneMustFall

OneMustFall Member

stand locations(Water,food sources,funnels,fence lines,ect) and the biggy is never go to your location the same way the deer travel..even if it means the long way around..............Be very quiet too:tape:

10. hilltophunter

hilltophunter Junior Member

Thermals are what causes your scent to either carry upward or downward. It sounds to me like the perfect deer property. Maybe try setting up on some pinch points in the doe travel areas. The rut should produce some great activity on all day sets in these areas.

11. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Personnally, I would sneak in following the ditch line, or from a side entrance where I see the fewest deer, be in your stand no less than 2 hours before legal shoot'n light (you can always take a nap until shoot'n light) and don't be in a rush to get in, allow plenty of time to walk in slow and quiet. I like to be in extra early to beat the deer into the woods, before they have come in out of the fields. The Big Bucks will come in before all the others, but if your in early enough, you'll beat them to it. You may have to spend all day there, but you'll know where they are bedding. I would put my stand 20-30 yards off the main trail because the big boys rarely use the main trail, they stay off to the side, if you can put it somewhere in the middle of two or more trails and cover them both, all the better. Something else to think about is a ground blind, it will allow a little more movement on your part with out the danger of getting busted. The right kind will also help with scent control.