Hoyt 38 ultra

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by arrowsmith, Dec 2, 2007.

1. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Hi,
    My first post here, just woundering if anyone has any knowledge of hoyt's 38 ultra, i seen one for sale and have been looking for a first time hunting bow, is this bow for hunting and target or just target?
    This bow must not be a 2008 because on the site for 2008 the only bow i see with ultr in the name is the ultraelite ???

thanks

2. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Last year's (07) model... it's a good bow, that can be used for 3D or Hunting, if that is your preference.

If this is your first bow you’re looking at, I recommend that you shoot as many bows as you can. This will help you make the determination of what kind of bow you would like to shoot. Things that you may want to consider are grips, weight, cams, A2A and what feels best when you draw, along with vibration after the shot.

Good Luck and :welcome: to the forum!

3. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Thanks , they want $650 for a new in the box ultra, no accessories, is it worth it ?
    Oh, another question, says draw lenght 29" , this bow has a cam & 1/2 setup so do you think the draw length will extend to 31" for me.

thanks for quick reply !

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

you may want to look at something a little shorter ATA for hunting:noidea: ........
    especially if you are going to be in a tree stand.....

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

$650 --- is it worth it to me. Yes, but I like Hoyt bows. (I currently shoot an 05 Ultra tec for hunting and 07 Ultra Elite for 3D)

If it has the regular Cam & 1/2, it should be adjustable. But you need to check with the seller on that. Shoot more bows, before you decide to purchase this one... I highly recommend it. Every bow feels different and shoots differently. You want to make sure you make the best decision on this. $650 plus accessories, will get you close to $1000 after everything is done... that's allot of money for something that you might not like or may like something else more. :noidea:

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  6. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Do you guys think a 31 or 32 " bow would be too short for my 31" draw lenght?
    I do plan to be hunting from tree stand .

Last edited: Dec 2, 2007
  7. UltraElite 06

UltraElite 06 Vote for Pedro

With 31" draw length and 31 or 32" bow you will have a very severe string angle. You would be better off with a bow at least 36" axle to axle.

8. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

What about a 33" hoyt katera bow, would this be alright with a 30" draw, I could just use a loop to gain a little draw ? What would disadvantages be of using 33" bow compared to a 36" bow, with my 31" draw ?

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

my boss is a 31" draw and shoots a 05 Switchback.......33"ATA.......he shoots it very well.......

so I dont see it being a problem

10. swintj1

swintj1 Senior Member

If you want to compare, I would look into a few bows...

Hoyt:
    1. Katera XL with Z3 cam ($749.00)
    2. Vectrix Plus with Z3 cam ($729.00)
    3. Katera XT (if only for hunting) with Z3 cam ($729.00)

Matthews:
    1. Drenalin ($799.00)
    2. Drenalin LD ($849.00)

From my experience, these are the nicest feeling bows out there, but you need to pick them up and find out for yourself. You might like a bow with a big valley (Drop off in weight) or you might like a more steady/smooth draw like the Matthews or Z3. The Cam and 1/2 Plus has a rather large dip in the draw cycle, like the Vector Cam on my Vectrix, but I like it, but others might now. You need to pick up a few bows and find out for yourself.

One things for sure...you wont find a nicer grip than whats on the Hoyt's.

11. Long Draw

Long Draw Banned

check out ebay...lotsa 07 hoyts for sale

12. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Thanks, been looking on ebay, hard to find a good bow with 31" draw.
    What do you guys think of bowtechs gaurdian (2007) for hunting. I found a few of these with decent draw lenght, they are kinda odd looking bows, how do they preform compared to a hoyt ?

13. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Know i have two other bows on my list, mathews drenalin and switchback xt, would either of these be good hunting choices. Are these bows as quiet as the bowtech claims to be ?

P.S my draw is 30" not 31" found this out today .

thanks

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  14. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I think both would make a good Hunting bow... if they are quiet or not you need to be the judge on that. Most people will say that their bow is quiet, but they are use to hearing "THUD" or "THUMP" and don't always notice it.

Do they make alot of noise ---- No. IMO - most of the newer bows equiped for hunting don't.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2007
  15. vancelowe

vancelowe Junior Member

:rockon:

I shoot the switchback XT, it can be set up to be very quiet

16. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

I have a bid in on a drenalin, but know i have read some bad things about the drenalin's limbs peeling and tuning issues, can some drenalin users give me some feedback please because i'm so undecided to get a hoyt or a mathews .

thanks

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

The issues with the Denalin limbs are (from what I've heard and read) very very limited and rare. All bow limbs have random failures. I've heard less about Drenalin failures then most other bows.

18. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

I have heard nothing but good things about the Dren... The few things that were not so good, are not different than any other brand.

19. arrowsmith

arrowsmith Junior Member

Well thats good, i feel better about my bid now !

20. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Arrowsmith,
    Did you get the bow?????? :noidea: