Hoyt Katera Problem

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Archangel, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Archangel

Archangel New Member

My lovely wife got me a hoyt Katera for Christmas and so far I love it all except for one major issue. I was shooting with a few guys yesterday and it locked up at full draw. I had one of my friends pull the arrow off and with the help of another hold the bow. Scared the heck out of me being tied to it at full draw for about ten minutes not knowing what was going to happen next. One of my friends knowticed that my top cam had turned past the drawstop and when he pushed on the buss cable the bow nearly ripped my arm off slamming my right hand into the cable guide rod. It basically dry fired while my release kept me tied into it and caused a bit of carnage. My meta peepsight was crushed, the leach in the string shot out somehow, and a few strands of the string were cut by the peep sight. Made me pretty stiff for a few days as the whole right side of my body got yanked pretty good.

I called hoyt today and they are going to fix everything.

Just as a word or warning, if anything goes wrong with a bow take yourself out of harms way and get free of it. That is advice one should hear at a Bowhunter safety coures. It was stupid of me to keep my release on and stay hooked to the bow but I was afraid of it dry-firing if it let loose. In retrospect if it would have fired and damaged anything I think hoyt would have stood behind it. Having a press near by would have been nice but wasn't an option.

I cannot wait to get her fixed up and shooting again. It shoots like a dream. Quiet and plenty fast. If you have a Hoyt Katera take a good look at the draw stop pegs on the top cam and see where the string hits it. Mine is in tune and only about half the string hits the very end of the stop. If you draw just right it will slip past and lock things up. When the cable goes back things get violent. It sounds like hoyt knows about this problem and is fixing it.

Anyone else have this issue?

2. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

:welcome: to the forum.:wave:

I heard of this happening couple years ago to the Tributes. I am very glad to hear you along with your friends were not hurt badly. Hoyt will take care of you.:rockon:

Congrats on the new bow. Sorry to hear you had the problem. Keep on postin.:peace:

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

I heard this happen twice on Archery Talk .. not sure what the cause was.. good luck..

4. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

Wow that would make you pucker!:tape:

Somebody could get hurt very bad if they didn't handle that problem well.

They better get right on this issue!:censored:

5. UltraElite 06

UltraElite 06 Vote for Pedro

Hoyt knows of the problem and has a revised top cam avaible to fix this issue. Go back to the dealer you bought the bow from they should be able to get you fixed up quickly.

6. Wheely

Wheely Wheely Threads

Welcome to the forum....congrats on the new bow, I hope the fixen all goes well for ya

7. two_shoes

two_shoes YOU! Get in my belly!

I rarely draw my bow back without an arrow in place. I am glad Hoyt is going to take care of you. That is a freaky situation..... Happy to hear injuries were minor. :amen:

8. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

there was an arrow in place..........:noidea:

9. Slice

Slice The Fobinator

:wave: Hello and :welcome: to the forum.

Sorry to hear about your problem. Hope everything works out for you.

10. My brother had that happen on his BT, the draw stop button on the cam fell off and he did not notice it and the cam just spun around. We put it back into the bow case very gently and took it to the shop and they fixed it right up. I didn't give them a chace to ask if had been dry fired I told right off the bat what the problem was. Its :scared: enough just being around a bow when that happens let alone be the one holding it

11. MichiganHunter

MichiganHunter Senior Member

wow... i dont know what i would do if that happend to me... thats crazy.... and :welcome:

12. Chance

Chance Junior Member

My buddy bow did not lock up but it was eating through the serving inside of two weeks. This happened twice and he sold the bow.

13. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and what did he buy to replace it?:noidea:

14. Chance

Chance Junior Member

He got a Ross Cardiac and loves it. His name is Investment on AT and I'm sure he will answer any questions about the bow. I posted a Thread asking if anyone had any problems.

15. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If hoyt knows about this and has a replacement cam available

WHERE IS THE RECALL ON HOYT KATERA?!?!?!?!!??!?!?!?!

Hoyt shouldn't be happy with sending out a replacement piece for a known issue. This guy got lucky, what would have happened if noone was around him or if he was in a tree stand? What just throw the bow to the ground and hope you don't go with it?

This is something I've complained about before and apparently nothing has changed. If they know its bad and they have a known good replacement part then that should be made known to ALL purchasers of bows and they should replace it BEFORE it happens.

the reactive idea in the archery industry is insane and whats amazing is 90% of the time when a bow breaks it is instantly blamed on the shooter!

16. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

the small engine/power tool industry is about the same, alot of repair as needed sheets come across the counter.......:noidea:

17. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

They are lucky that not many lawyers work with power tools or shoot bow.

All it would take for a good attorney to get millions is to be present and see someone get injured by a known manufacture defect and know that a "Improved to resolve the issue" part is available.

That would happen and whatever company it is will be owned by a new person.

18. Chance

Chance Junior Member

Nothing against Hoyt but I was there when he was on the telephone with them and he wasn't very happy after the conversation. I don't know of any recalls on any Hoyt bows to include the Katera. After what he when through and hearing the conversation I don't think I would buy a Hoyt anytime soon.

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Hoyt has never issued a recall.

The only archery company ever to issue a bow related recall is Escalade Sports (Fred Bear youth bow).

Mathews, Hoyt, Bowtech, PSE... no recalls

20. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

simply means there IS NO ISSUE:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: