Hunting Arrow

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by SCShooter, Sep 6, 2007.

1. SCShooter

SCShooter Junior Member

Hey, I am new to bowhunting and have a used fred bear kodiak II bow. its 60lbs., and so far I have killed 6 deer with it. I know its old school but its all i can afford right now.
    I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on which arrows to use i have been shooting 125 grain montec G5's on Super Carbon Magnum's. what is the longest shot i could take for whitetails in SC and which arrow will help me achieve that. Thanks in advance.
    Also I was wondering about a good sight to use, I have bad eyes and can't see my sights when it starts getting dark and thats when i see deer so any help there would be appreciated too.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007
  2. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

Thats an open ended question, I would say depending on your abilty and broadhead selection no more than 30 yards. Mechanical broadheads take more energy than fixed blades to open/penetrate, but tend to fly better, take your pick! Rage or the Tekan II's have worked well for me, I shoot 5575 gold tip xt hunters and they are average priced for carbons and they are very durable. I hunt in Illinois and I have a 50 yard pin on my setup but I use a rangefinder, the 40+ shots are mainly for does or coyotes. Practice, practice, practice......Good luck.

3. hduc2005

hduc2005 Senior Member

First Welcome :welcome: :welcome: :welcome: :welcome:

Only shoot out to what you feel is a clean shoot, I shoot my target bow out to 50 or 60 yards but will not shoot a deer longer than 40 yards I use CX 350 maxima arrows with 100grain MUZZY my bow is a mathews Switchback XT set to 72lbs.

4. SCShooter

SCShooter Junior Member

I am using fixed blade montec G5's. i just dont really know what arrow to use and can't find much about these Super Carbon Magnums online. Thanks I will look at those arrows.

5. Gator eye

Gator eye Guest

If your new to bow hunting and you already have killed six deer,

sound like you got a killer set up already!:rockon:

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

That's what I was thinking. :D

What's your draw length and what length arrows are you shooting now, Scooter?

For a sight, you definately want to upgrade to something with fiber-optic pins if you haven't already.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2007