Hunting methods

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by wvbowhunter, Jan 25, 2008.

1. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

Sup guys. just got my new bow and hope to start hunting this hunting season. i'm gonna practice this summer but i'm gonna some help about hunting. what would you guys recommend on using treestands and hunting blinds. are they more succesful than stalking or is stalking better. which is easier to. please answer soon.:noidea:

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

you'll do much better hunting out of a stand or a blind. stalking is pretty tough. I've killed deer still hunting with a rifle but I've never gotten within bow range of a whitetail.

3. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

Thats the same way with me but sometimes when i hunt with a rifle i can get within 20 to 50 yards. The last doe i killed come within 5 yards of me but ran back about 5 yards when she sensed something was wrong. i probably could of got her with my bow but i was hunting with my rifle at the time. thanks for the advice though. i'll make sure to get me a tree stand later. i've already got me ground blind. i'll set it up somewhere else though.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2008
  4. Rino

Rino New Member

I think you'll find hunting from a tree much easier and more enjoyable. When you get up in a tree you, 1. get above the whitetails line of sight, 2. get above a whitetails nose, 3. have a better view of the surrounding area.
    It is just much more forgiving being up in a tree. I like to look for a tree with multiple trunks for better concealment and get in the middle of them. If you find a good stand and get a good safety harness I can guarantee you'll have a great time in the woods. Good luck!

5. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

:noidea: Are treestands better placed close to a field or feeding area or next to water supplies and bedding areas. there aren't very many trees with multiple trunks were i am. my grandpa owns 125 acres of woods with nothing but fields, litterly surrounded by fields, at least a mile long. there is a great bedding area there with nothing but brier bushes 3-6 feet tall. and a nice little pond close by. but theres also a bunch of fields were the deer go and eat at different times of the day but no good trees for a treestand to set in. what do you suggest?

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Have you consideres a frog man suit and speargun
    you can lay submerged in tha pond and rise up slowy and bust ya one.:bowl: :lol:

7. You can always try a Tripod stand, set it up early and camo it in, don't need no tree.

8. J.C.

J.C. New Member

sounds like a good setup for your blind. put it closer to the feeding area. dont push them too hard around their beds.

9. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

You want to leave their bedding area alone. if you can find a good tree closer to the eating areas and can get where some of the paths kind of converge it will best. Pay main attention to the wind directions. I feel tree stands are the most productive. It gets you up out of sight and less chance of beiing busted by scent. Blinds are good but I think that deer know when something new has been added to the "hood" and work best when they have been in place for awhile. Seems as if your mature does (and especially mature bucks, are more leary of them. Same with tripods. Good luck in whichever way you decide.

10. wvbowhunter

wvbowhunter wvbowhunter

I have my hunting blind on the west side of the land and im thinking of putting the treestand on the east side where the best feeding area is. thanks for the advice. i'll have to go and buy me one first though.:peace: