i ended my elk season

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by roosevelt, Sep 17, 2006.

1. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

i shot my elk yesterday evening, i made a stalk on what i thought was a single spike, the general tag is a hair tag here. i got within 100 yds and could go no further, he was feeding along the edge of a clear cut. he finally got on to a big flat of tall grass and i made it within 30 yds on my hands and knees. i ranged a tree for refference, it was 55 yds, i figured the elk was within 30 yds of my location. i heard something walking my way and saw a cow pop her head up. i made a quick decision to pass on her to see what unfolds. the cow walked within 10 feet of me before realizing i was danger, she hopped broadside then bolted. she stopped at about 40 yds. i stood up and drew my bow to see where the spike was, he was 25 yds staring at me. i started walking sideways looking for a hole in the tall grass when he bolted. he stopped a long ways out, just then i realized he was next to the tree i just ranged. i settled my 50 yd pin for a quartering away shot and the arrow hit true. he ran 135 yds and stopped, he started swaying and went to take a step and crashed, not much longer he was done!!!

2. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

CONGRATS!!!! Got pics?

3. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

yeah, i will try to figure it out

4. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

sweeet! Congrats! is this your first Elk?

5. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

my 3rd, year before last i got a cow, last year i got a spike, and now another spike. this is year seven for me so i am pretty happy with 3 in a row. maybe next year i will have a chance at a branch bull. our season closes on the sep 24 and our second season is cow only so i had to take the shot oppertunity, it was my first chance of the season. now if a deer cooperates. here is another pic

6. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Gongratulations. That sure does look like a good eating bunch of meat and a very happy archer. Ya'll sure got it good out there we here in the Mnts of E Tn only have deer and bear, But I do so enjoy the hunt. I was struck by your ability to to stalk a big gane animal. That is sure like being hooked into 220v while on the ground hunting with a bow. :tea: only 6 days till D Day in Tn :dance: :whoo: :dance: Holy Smokes

7. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

Congrats!!! Thats pretty awsome, i leave next friday for 12 days of elk hunting, Got my first bull last year, was a rag horn, but i had the shot, and bowhunting elk, I wont pass up on a good shot on any elk, you might not get a second chance, thier tough, Any elk with a bow is a good one!!! Hope im as lucky as you were!! Congrats again!!! :rockon:

8. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Congrats roosevelt nice bull. So cool to stalk something like that I wish we had them critters around here. We have about 12 of them in a high fence about 8 miles from here some guy raises them. Good luck with the deer.:peace:

9. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Nice shot and congrats......

10. MoBowman

MoBowman Senior Member

:rockon: Way to go :rockon: That will be some good eating there.

11. roosevelt

roosevelt Junior Member

thanks guys, i can't wait to hear some of your stories. i hunted hard the last 2 days with my buddy, i'm cutting up my elk tomorrow then back in the woods. i can't get enough of elk season, i just love to be there. our roosevelt elk here on the coast are not as vocal as the rocky mountain elk. i have not called one in yet so i have always done spot and stalk. some guys do well calling these bulls and i will learn, i have plenty of years....... i feel like i am missing out on part of the experience, out of the 3 elk i have harvested, i have only been able to follow one blood trail, the other 2 i watched fall:noidea: for a small diameter broad head i was impressed with my rocky mountain iron head 100.

12. Hoyt101

Hoyt101 Banned

Nice congrates man 50 yards nice
    shot! I want to go on a elk hunt one
    day

13. big scores

big scores banned from AT

congrat on a nice elk.

14. JVA54

JVA54 Member

Congrats!! :thumb:

15. wapitiwill

wapitiwill Junior Member

You got a good eater there.....Congrats!!!!