If you owned a shop ?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by upnorth, Jun 6, 2008.

1. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

how would you answer this to a customer . if type a and b are good bows why are you shooting type c ?

2. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Simple....

Because every person has a different feel for every bow out there.

That's why when you shop for a bow you shoot as many as you can.

Most of the bows these days out there are really nice, but they feel totally different to different people with various draw weights and draw lengths.

Open mind is the key to success in finding a bow that a customer will like and enjoy using, NOT what your shop employee(s) or hunting buddy(s) say is the best.

Shop I used to buy stuff at pushes Hoyt. Every employee there hunts with another brand.... I wonder why that is ??????

Do you own a shop ? :noidea:

Just curious why you are asking the question...

Ron

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008

3. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

Good answer Ron.

The only thing that I would add is that most of the new bows out there today are all of excellent quality, the only true difference between them is minor features and astetics. It all boils down to what a customer is looking for.

4. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Yep, I agree totally. The quality of the equipment over even 7-8 years ago has improved a LOT...

Ron

5. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

yes i own a shop and just added another major one . havent talked anyones choice of bows down in the last few years . not going to say i wasnt one of the bashers a few years go but ive grown out of it .

6. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

I own a shop and can't imagine why an owner would sell brand A and brand B, but then shoot brand C......:noidea: That doesn't make sense to me. I stock items I think are top quality. If it is on my wall, it is probably on my bow or has been and I thought it was quality. It makes good business sense to shoot what you sell. I sell Elite and Martin. If I was at the range shooting a Hoyt and someone walked up and asked to look at it and liked it....they'd be going right up to the local Hoyt dealer probably before they came and shot my stuff.

Ron's answer is a good one and bows are individual things, but I would never be caught dead holding a brand that I don't sell....

7. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Good for you.

The bashers have too much time on their hands and don't spend enough time trying new things out, like bows they have never shot before.

A great case in pont is somebody that thinks bow A stinks becuse it don't feel as good as bow B. Problem coule be very simple... Are the draw lengths that same ? I mean, ACTUALLY the same ?

Some bows have draw stops that are 'micro' adjustable (for example Bowtech). Some have 2 draw stop holes (for example some Mathews). This leads to an incredible amount of difference in what a person feels when they draw and shoot a bow.

You could very well have somebody come into the shop who has a Mathews XT at 40# and find that the economical Genesis Pro (at less than half the price) set at 30# feels 100% better to that archer...

That's the science and human nature behind archery.

The emotion need to be largely taken out of it for the sport to grow and I firmly believe that.

Sell the archer what feels good to them and don't push a brand or put down a brand.

Ron

8. djmaxwe

djmaxwe Passing through

The shop that I deal with, the owner has several bows hat are his and has one rigged from each of the companies that he sells. He said same as JC that he carries what he does because he beleives that it is the best product available and that is why he carries it. To me that is a honest answer and your not going to be able to carry everything or please everybody. Stock the best equipment that you can and hope for the best.

9. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

im shooting one of the bows i sell .my two main lines will be bowtech/mathews . ill be hunting with both this year a dxt and a gaurdian .and im currently shooting a 101st for 3d .

10. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

If you come in my shop, I won't try to force anything on you. I'll show you what I have...tell you why I shoot the model I do....let you shoot what you want....and tell you thanks for stopping in if you leave without a bow. I don't get mad when people buy another brand elsewhere, I give them the same service when they bring that bow in to get something done to it.

I carry what I do because I like the lines for one reason or another. If I wouldn't shoot them myself, I wouldn't sell them.

11. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

I wish more shops would take your same aproach to customer service Morgan. I have been in several shops where ya get the speach about if you had bought that bow here I wouldn't have had to charge ya. I don't care to pay for the bow work I have done but if I want to buy a bow somewhere else then that's my call. Guess what? the shops that do give me that speech loose my business forever. It's kinda like buying a computer from Dell and taking it to a computer repair shop that sells Acer. Should they charge ya more for working on a computer they don't sell???

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I think you guys are walking down the right path and offering what you can offer that makes sense. You cannot offer every brand of bow but being open minded is a great thing. Good for you guys.

Ron

13. dbdcougar

dbdcougar He Who Drops His Bow Arm

I've bought 2 bows from Justin now and he is representing himself truthfully. { On the other hand I'm not exactly a hard sell. :D }

14. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Great answers

About 20 years ago i was a staff shooter in my best friends bow shoop and before going out on my own to run my own shop i worked on bows there.
    He carried everything from hoyt,pse,martan,high country
    I got this question often because i shot a $2000 pse elete lazer by pse all colorfull and decked out
    The guys would come in the shop that shot high country and asked why?
    I gave them the same answer..even if they wanted the shop target bow...it had a price tag on it...everything was for sale...they would just have to get me another to shoot...thats the way to do bussiness.:biggrin1:
    JC Morgan and all shop owners should feel the same way and they will be on top of there game:biggrin1:

15. upnorth

upnorth Junior Member

im the same way i set up a bow yesterday for a hunting bow and if someone comes in today and likes the setup its his if he wants it . theres nothing in my shop i wont sell . including the shop if they have the right price .