increased draw weight lost accuracy

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by NewBowhunterGirl, Sep 26, 2006.

1. NewBowhunterGirl

NewBowhunterGirl Junior Member

I have just recently increased my draw weight by roughly 5 lbs (last Thursday) and was originally shooting great. I really felt comfortable with my form and was "in a groove". My groupings were tight and I could place my arrow consistently where I wanted. I know I overdid it that day because I was pretty sore Friday and took Friday and Saturday off.
    The last few times I have shot, my accuracy has decreased and I feel like my form is off. I have still have fairly good groupings, but I will have a couple bad arrows. My last set rounds last night were pretty off (my husband says that is to be expected because I was pushing it too hard).

With bow season just around the corner, my question is "Should I return to my lower weight or keep the weight where it is and see if I can work through it?" Also, any tips on form would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Bring the weight down where you are comfortable. Being able to hit where you want is way more important than the little bit of speed you are gaining from the 5 pound increase.

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

not to sound like a complete internet loser but we need pictures of your form to critique it

4. Chris

Chris Administrator Staff Member

Dredly is right, digital pics of you shooting would help.

However, if you are struggling and don't have confidence in your shooting, drop the weight back to where it was.

5. NewBowhunterGirl

NewBowhunterGirl Junior Member

Thanks for the advice

Thanks guys. I shot yesterday and this morning and am definitely improving. I definitely think I was pulling it because I was clenching the grip. Once I relaxed my hand, the arrows were back in the bullseye. I think I might tough it out a little longer with the new weight and see. I appreciate your advice.