Is Crossbow archery?

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Jay Are, Jul 11, 2007.

1. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

Here’s something to be debated… Is using a crossbow considered “Archery”?

Should clubs allow Crossbows to be used during 3D shoots and if they do what are the risk associated to using a crossbow? Also are crossbow shooters increasing in numbers?

Just wonder what everyone’s thoughts are on this????:noidea:

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

allowing them to be used in a 3d shoot is a touchy subject, you have the people that will never believe that they are not anymore dangerous than compound.......and then you have the people who will argue that recurvers were saying the same thing about compounds, when the first started gainin popularity.....:noidea:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I got into a huge fight over this before with all the X-bow guys jumping on me and crap but here are my thoughts...

Yes allow them but make sure they know the rules. A X-Bow is inherntly more dangerous as the ability to "let down" isn't there and the ability to walk around ready to release a bolt is. A bow may sting a little if you walk into someone with an arrow on your string but a bolt will go through them.

That being said I see no reason NOT to allow them on the course as long as they accept the rules and go by them.

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

and here I would have to agree.....tell them that here are the rules.....

1. a crossbow will never have the string in the loaded position untill the person is at the stake......

2. a bolt will never be placed in the crossbow until all bystanders (ie. people pulling thier arrows, are out of harms reach.......

once these rules and any others you find pertinent are understood, then I see no reason, why they should not be allowed....'

another problem I see is how many classes are you going to have???

5. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

How do you allow crossbows on an Archery only facility that does not recognize crossbows as part of the archery sport or should be part of the archery only bow season?

"State and provincial representatives unanimously agreed that crossbows are not bows and should not be allowed in archery-only seasons." From UBP

Most 3D shoots are for all types of bows... all because something has 'bow" in it's name, does it make it a bow?

6. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

so I am confused I guess as to the direction of this thread, I thought you were looking to get ideas on how to get them o.k.ed at your club, I must be off base??

and it looks as though maybe you are against them......:noidea:

7. 'SIN'ERGY

'SIN'ERGY Senior Member

I'm against them for hunting season, in Pa you had to have a disability or old age to get a permit to hunt with one up until last year or maybe the year before that. Pa let's anyone shoot one now just to get the herd #'s down. IMHO if you can draw back a bow with sufficient poundage to kill an animal then learn to be an "archer" otherwise put these guys in with the gun season. Once again in my opinion this allowed some of the wackjob gun hunters an easy way to kill deer in the early season without actually having any skill with a bow for the "archery " season. Look through a red dot scope and pull a trigger--- sounds like a gun season weapon to me! Jay Are, if your club isn't hurting for members or money I say don't let em in.

8. Jay Are

Jay Are Junior Member

A little of both... the stance of the club is that Crossbow are not allowed. It is not as easy to having a vote on if they should be allowed or not. It will require the re-writing of by-laws and the club's constitution. But it can be done and all it requires is one person to make a good case.

I personally do not care for Crossbows and is the only reason I support the UPB... But I know I need to keep an open mind on this. My personal opinion should not drive the direction of the club, but what is best for all.

So in order for us to allow Crossbows on during a 3D shoot, will require the changing of By-laws of the club, what can persuade me to think differently?what can I present to the members of the club to help them think differently?Is it worth pursuing?

but at the end of the day --- is a crossbow a "Bow"?

9. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

NO........

10. bullspotter

bullspotter Senior Member

a cross bow is held and shot like a gun, To me its not archery, and ive seen a few cross bows that make so much power, their not even comparable to a compound bow, And i for one hope they dont add it to archery, If they do, they need to make all hunters wear ornge like gun season, their are just so many careless hunters, I wouldnt feel safe in camo hiding in bushes with guys running around with crossbows flinging arrows at anything that moves like the gun hunters do, most of the archery hunters here are respectfull hunters with alot of pride for the sport, so their havent been to may serious issues.... I think if they added cross bows here, thier would be alot of problems.... Just my $ .02

11. Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday Slippy for President!

Where would one go to practice with their crossbow?

A gun range or an archery range? ;)

Personally, I don't like them, but they are a part of archery.

12. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Crossbows!

I say no to all crossbows, with the exception of disabled hunters!
    In VA they have caused a huge impact!
    They are allowed the intire archery season.
    In my hunt club there are 35 members only 6 or 7 bowhunted in the past
    Now about 10 hunt archery season and only 3 use compounds & stick bows.
    The crossbow hunters in my club are all between 18 & 25 & shoot everything they see!
    One guy killed 1 doe and wounded 4 more including a 140class buck we found later that he took a pot shot at 80 yds on a gas line!:mad:
    These things sometimes i think should have never been allowed to be used for hunting!
    They have caused in the past 2 years, for 3 near by archery pro shops to shut down!
    Everyone just buy's one from bass pro or cabela's gets some bolts & starts shooting.
    I hate them!:mad:

13. Big Country

Big Country Member

Very few crossbows generate more energy than a top end compound, and the difference in those is not enough to worry about.

Worrying about being in the same woods with crossbow hunters is wasting your time. The weapon used has nothing to do with a persons actions regarding safety.

Granted, crossbows are NOT hand held at full draw. Concept 99 bows require lessthan 1 pound of holding weight at full draw. Drawing in the presence of game is NOT all that tough to do....I have successfully done it over 150 times on big game animals.

The UBP is strongly against crossbows. I am not only a proud member of the UBP, I am a donating member as well.......and they are WRONG and devisive in their stance. There is simply no impirical data to show that including crossbows into regular archery season will negatively affect the quality of our hunts.

Wifes tales and selfishness are the only things keeping crossbows out of archery.

BTW, I do not own a crossbow, nor do I have any intention of owning one. I simply do not like to prevent my fellow hunters from enjoying the same things we get to enjoy when their weapon of choice affords them no better opportunity for success than does a compound bow.:noidea:

14. 62flint

62flint Member

The skill to shoot a cross bow is a whole lot less than a compound or stick bow.
    Most people that I have met that are shooting crossbows think of them as short range rifles.They have never bowhunted before. Do not have a clue as to what the xbow can do or not do. I was in the archery/gunshop shop last year during the beginning of bow season one afternoon. This fella is getting his crossbow he just purchased put together with his new scope on it. He tells the man that is working on the bow. He has his eye on some does and one of them is going to die this afternoon. This was about 1:00 in the afternoon. Now I think he is going to take this bow sight it in, get in a stand and likely going to fling a bolt at a deer. He didn't even know what kind of broadhead to get for the thing. I mean he didn't know the differance between a mech head and fixed.
    I ask the guy that is helping me. {my drop away rest got buggered up he was fixing it} Does that kinda stuff happen often. He stated all the time.
    SO nope don't like em. Think you should pass an Iq test to own one. At least they should have there own season.
    I would just as soon have a cripple bow as to take a ho to church.
    Well maybe when I get old an feeble and can't pull a bow back I will get one.
    Then again I really don't like inline muzzleloaders .... but thats another board.

15. They are "archery'ish" or "archery-esque" but NOT archery......

16. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Amen!

Sounds like ya have the same problems in your neck of the woods, Figures your in the same state, go figure!:noidea:

To all that read this, if your state is thinking about makeing crossbows allowed to be used in your state During the intire archery season, you might want to voice your opinion at your annual state game laws forums, Even though in our state alot of us did & they didnt care, They just want all the deer killed for development!:mad:

17. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

I say take em all ta tha dump and burn em.
    One exception for tha exteremly disabled. Not because ya got carpural tunnel and can talk a Doc into gittin a permit.

18. 62flint

62flint Member

Kbo I think you may be right bout the game commision not caring. Except I think they just wanted the extra license money.

19. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I think they are a cross between a gun and bow. Crossbow ????
    No pun intended...

In Illinois you have to have a disability to hunt with one. The problem is, if you have a toothache you can get the necessary permit do use one. I completely disagree with that.

The biggest problem I see is that you cannot let one down, you have to fire the bolt (unless technology has improved on that). I think someone already mentioned that fact. To me, that's the biggest issue, safety.

As far as taking pock shots and hitting things that should not get hit: Some idiot put an arrow, not bolt, into the side of an Ag tire on a wagon on one of our hunting properties. Thank goodness the landowner believes our group did not do it (and I do not believe we did) but it does go to show that stupid people do stuipd things, wether it's a crossbow or compound. That shot was not an accident. The arrow was right in the middle of the side-wall, straight on. Somebody did it intentionally.

Having said all that, as it seems most of us are hunters, so it's not so much an issue of wether or not a crossbow is a bow. I see it more as, hey, if these folks are going to use one, wrap some meaningful laws around it and make it so they can play in the sandbox too. Treat them like they have a weapon that falls between a firearm and a compound bow. Give them their own season, just like black powder. Or have them out there during black powder season. Something that makes sense, but hold them accountable for following the law and doing stupid things.

Ron

20. vonottoexperience

vonottoexperience Senior Member

My thought's are...
    Hunting : Put them in the Muzzleloader season
    3D : load @ the stake, have there own class