kinetic energy& arrow weight

Discussion in 'Bowhunting forum' started by Terry Keener, Mar 4, 2008.

1. Terry Keener

Terry Keener New Member

Does anyone know why you would use a heavy arrow shootng slower over a lighter arrow shooting faster if the kinetic energy is the same. I'm thinking of trying a 2-blade Rage, and need it to open and fuction well. It seems like the pros never tell you their setup, so even though they kill deer you can't tell what they are using to do it??????????? Any advice?

2. rpford53

rpford53 Member

Because of the greater amount of momentum that is generated by the heavier arrow.

3. Terry Keener

Terry Keener New Member

Isn't momemtum just another word for KE? You still use mass & speed to figure it.

4. TEN RING

TEN RING ONE SHOT ONE KILL

TO GAIN 5 EXTRA POUNDS OF KINETIC ENERGY YOU HAVE TO AND 300 GRAIN TO YOUR ARROW AND A LOSS OF OF 75 + FPS:Cry:

5. red44

red44 Senior Member

From what I understand they're not the same. If you plug in lighter and lighter or heavier and heavier arrows into a KE equation, I think you hit a point of diminishing return, where-as with momentum, if you keep going heavier, momentum keeps increasing. At some point though, I would think the trajectory has to kill you and has to be taken into consideration.

6. aljo

aljo New Member

to figure k.e multiply arrow speed x arrow speed x arrow weight divided by 450240. example; 300fps x 300fps = 90000 x 400grs = 36000000 divided by 450240 = 79.957 of k.e. go to "hunters friend.com" compound bow selection. they offer a lot of valuable info.

7. markalbob

markalbob Everybody loves a clown..

KE is how hard it hits, or the energy of impact. Momentum is related to that as well as weight, which helps continue forward motion. related but not the same

8. rpford53

rpford53 Member

Two different formulas and what red44 said is correct. That is why traditionist shooting real heavy arrows at slow speed blow through elk all the time.