Looking at bow strings.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by bagel77, Feb 11, 2008.

1. bagel77

bagel77 New Member

Okay I have a 07 black ice. I am tuning the bow and was thinking of upgrading my strings.

First question...is this worth doing?
    second question....I was thinking about winners choice strings or Fission/wolfden...comments on either.
    Third question.....If I went with wolfden I have never put strings and cables on a bow so i wouldn't want to attempt it.
    Fourth question....Do you think a local proshop would do it...or give me a hard time about it?

I was planning on getting the winners choice at a fairly big east coast pro shop because I know they sell them and I was planning to get some new accessories for the bow at the same time. I want to order in the next day or two because I know there is a lead time for the strings to be made.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

Bowtech/Diamond have some of the best, if not the best factory strings. To replace them when they're brand new is a waste of money, in my opinion.

3. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

agreed...my stock bowtech strings have been very very good. And if you buy strings from a proshop, they should put them on for you (free IMO, but they will probably charge you to do it)

4. BuckeyeRed

BuckeyeRed Super Member

Winners Choice strings are great, a bit expensive but well made.

I don't know about Wolfde, never used them. I have tried Winners Choice, Vapor Trails, and JcMorgan Ranger strings. All 3 make great strings, Jc's are the biggest bang for your buck and his turn around time is excellent.

Any good bow shop will put them on for you w/ out question. If they hassel you they are poor dealers and not worth your time.

5. bagel77

bagel77 New Member

So I guess it wouldn't be a big upgrade??

6. J.C.

J.C. New Member

I dont think it would be. Are you getting much peep rotation?

7. bagel77

bagel77 New Member

a little...I have had it about 1-1/2 months....

8. Scrotang

Scrotang Junior Member

Keep the strings they are really good. I don't know how much you shoot, but the peep rotation should come out of it with some more shooting and playing with your loop.

9. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

JC M does ranger strings
    No peep turn miminal wear and nonot any noticable strech
    now that great memory
    you'll find him on here
    Ranger strings
    just orderd my 2nd set

10. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Another vote for Ranger.......

11. Timmer

Timmer Member

I just recently replaced my string and cables on my Guardian with Wolfden's. First time I've ever done the job myself and it really went quite well. No peep rotation from string stretch and they seem to be holding up quite well. Don't know how your shop is but I really hate the "attitude" I find at most local shops. Biggest reason I started working on my own stuff. I'm sure they would charge for their time and hope it wouldn't be an issue that you didn't buy them there, but who knows.

12. Timmer

Timmer Member

Not to bash Bowtech, but the strings (plural) that I had on my Guardian were crap. First string had to be replaced after less than 200 shots because it started seperating at the loop. That was covered under warranty luckily. The second string wouldn't quit rotating and I just gave up. Finally I realized my cable slide was installed wrong (factory or shop?). When I replaced it I found several strands of a cable had frayed and broken. No doubt caused by improper installation. That's when I finally decided to just replace the string & cables with and aftermarket set. Even after all this it's still the best bow I've ever owned.