Looking for a 1st Bow and need recommendations?

Discussion in 'Beginners Archery Range' started by Bionerd76, Oct 6, 2007.

1. Bionerd76

Bionerd76 Junior Member

I'm interested in getting my first bow. I don't have an archery specific shop close outside of big box stores (Dick's Sporting Goods). An archery specific shop is at least an hour away and I'm not opposed to driving there. I'm wanting to hunt deer and I'm a little late on getting into the sport. So, I figured I wouldn't hunt deer until the next season and just work on honing my skills (because I have none). I do know that I would shoot left handed.

That being said, what is a good starter bow. I'm not looking to get the best on the market. In fact, I would like to buy a used bow for around $150-200...unless of course you can buy a good new bow for that price, but I doubt it. So, thoughts or ideas?

Thanks,

Chris

2. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Call around to some of pro shops in your area to see if they have any used bows. Most don't but you might get lucky. If they do, find the one that feels the most comfortable. Also go to one and get "fitted" for your Draw length. (DL). Also you have to determine what draw weight is good for you. Don't play the "Macho" guy routine. Talking to a Pro at the shop will give you the best insight as to what you really want and can handle. When in doubt....ASK....Ask and then Ask again. There will be as many opinions on the "Best Bow" as there are people responding. The main thing is to get the one that feels the best to you. READ, RESEARCH and ASK

http://www.huntersfriend.com/bowselection
    Go to the bow selection guide (in the yellow box) and it explains a lot of things

This might be a good sight to check out and read.

Welcome to the sight.:peace: :peace: :peace:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2007

3. Pinwheel1969

Pinwheel1969 #1 THREAD KILLER

you could get a new pse deer hunter package for $219.99 or a pse nova su bow for $250.00. all available in left hand. go to the pse web site to look at there value series bows.

4. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

The PSE Nova is a good bow...I shot one for a couple years...:biggrin1:

5. kbohunt

kbohunt are u a fat boy?

Yep!

Love my PSE BOWS!:biggrin1:
    Cant go wrong.

6. Cablegaurd21

Cablegaurd21 Senior Member

Now I don't recomend everyone do this but I bought my first bow off EBAY!
    I knew I was rolling the dice but I read alot and felt confident with my purchase. I still shoot that bow today its a 2003 PSE. I love it and I got it with a ton of acc. three years ago for just over $200.00. talk about a DEAL!
    Good luck. best time to buy any bow is in the off season when they go on SALE! Why am I so Cheap?:noidea:

7. Werd

Werd Senior Member

im going to tell you what i tell everybody else that wants to start hunting. my friend wanted to get into hunting. He was expecting to get a bow under 100. im like dude. ur never gonna get a bow for that price. your out of your mind. anybody can back me up. this is not a cheap sport. you figure...price of bow. 200. then arrows. your up to 30-50$ on them. so thats 250. then figure the work the shop has to do to make the bow fit you. thats atleast 50 if not more. you have to get everything set up for your size. Then you have to get a quick release.(opional). you can shoot with fingers but i wouldnt. if you get one thats 15-90$ depending on what you perfer. so figure 275. See after everything gets up there its not cheap. ohhh and broadheads. cant forget them. and you need a target. so your well above 320$$$$. i wouldnt ever buy used. you dont know what your getting. Save you money. wait til spring. buy a 300-500$ new bow. Then shoot all summer. hopefully you ll be ready for the season. Hope this helps. and :welcome: to 3dshoots.com

8. QSA

QSA One eyed/Gutless wonder

Boy your cheap there FredBearTRX32User
    My bow 700, rest 145, sight 199, quiver 99, Stab 45, peep 45, arrows 120, broadheads 45. 1299 total lol
    But the ads here and on AT has some good deals. Get a good used set up and some practice arrows, learn how to shoot and them if you like it buy some good arrows and broadheads to next season.
    But do not for get ask all the questions you want, that is how you learn

9. Bionerd76

Bionerd76 Junior Member

Thanks for all the advice. For the record, I'm not hunting this season. I have the yard for target practice and would like to hone my skills.

As far as price, I know I'm going to get what I pay for. I'm an avid fly fisher and the same goes for rods. I'm contemplating selling a rod to get a bow, but I hate to part with a good rod.

Anyway, I'm continuing my research of the brands. PSE is definitely a bargain, but I would like to shoot one first. I'm going to have to make the hour long trip to that achery shop up north to get a better feel for what I want.

If you have more advise...keep it coming!!!

Chris

10. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

What shop are you talking about?? I noticed your in Illinois, I have a bow for sale right now. I let a friend of a friend take it to shoot it.:doh: If he buys it sorry I can't help ya, but if not its up for $$. There is a thread in the left handed forum its a Reflex excursion all setup and tuned, its got new stone mountain strings and cables etc... If your interested check out the thread and drop me a pm.

2004-2005 Reflex Excursion(black and brown cams not camo, I thought that meant it was an 04 another member stated that the early 05's were brown/black)???? Bought new in 2005!!!
    27-30" adjustable draw currently set@29"
    60-70 lbs. maxed out at exactly 70 lbs.
    New stone mountain string and cables Neon green/Black
    Tru-Glo 5 pin Brite-Site (.029" pins) w/light
    Whisker Biscuit
    SVL string leeches
    Nice Bow, I've hunted with it for 2 years thats it, no league shoots or anything of that sort.
    I will post pictures when I get it back from the shop, currently waiting on the string from stone mountain.
    295 IBO, 8 3/8" brace height (very forgiving bow)
    I'm debating on keeping as a back up or selling???
    asking $350 obo setup
    $275 bare - obo
    Finally got some pics of the bow im selling, got a guy looking at it today if it doesn't sell here it is. As you can see in picture #2 there is a small nick in the finish of the riser, that is the only spot on the bow! Good shooting bow, I harvested 10 deer in two years with that bow.

75% let-off
    Timed and Tuned - Ready for a new home.

11. tnts79

tnts79 Senior Member

HIJACK OVER!:lol:

12. jetshowell

jetshowell Member

i am actualy left handed to an i got a pse team fitz that is the same thing as the deer hunter but i am getting a new bow this year

13. jason_thacker

jason_thacker Junior Member

i would recommend an alpine frontier. i got one for my first bow and still have it. its cheap, fast, and a great bow !!!!!!

14. Bionerd76

Bionerd76 Junior Member

The shop I'm talking about is Sportsmans Edge Inc. in Braidwood. I was going to go there tonight w/ a buddy, but plans fell through. I have a little one on the way right now. So, I'm considering on waiting until after he/she is born to see what sort of time I'll have. I guessing very little, but I may need the time to myself.

So, I'm going to continue to research and get my draw length and draw weight so when the time comes I'll be ready to purchase.

Chris

15. jazzdrive3

jazzdrive3 Junior Member

eBay is a great place to get a bow, as it's usually the only place you can buy them online without running into reseller agreements and nonsense like that.

But you need to know what you're doing and what you're looking for, so it's probably only for experienced shoppers.

16. jcmorgan31

jcmorgan31 Prodigal Son

Take a look at the Martin line of bows. They are well made and priced right. You can get a new one for the price of one of the other brands used. :peace: