Looking for new target / hunting release.

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by encoreguy, Jul 9, 2007.

1. encoreguy

encoreguy Junior Member

It has been a long time since I have competed in regional, state and national tournaments. I used to shoot indoor, field and 3-D. I am wanting to get back into it some. Work still kills early Spring for me. Anyway, I want to add a new hand held release. I currently have a Carter and a 4 finger Stan. I would like one that I could hunt with also. I know Carters are excellent and I am not apposed to another. The T.R.U Balls look interesting to me. What is everyone using these days. When I last shoot it was either Carter, Stan or wrist strap Scotts. I prefer hand held releases that I can shoot with back tension. I shoot a string loop on everything now What would you recommend and if they have differet heads available, which is smoother and easier on the string loop. I have really missed shooting competitions and I hope to start shooting more.

2. Hook Em

Hook Em Slippy for President

there are soooo many shapes and sizes it is really going to be up to you. I shoot a carter insatiable 4 finger (I have smallish hands and it fits me) thumb release and a scott longhorn BT release. I am interested in trying the carter evolution, just wish it was shaped like my insatiable...

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

tru ball is the choice of me the famous BOWMAN.......:rockon:

but seriously they all have thier positives and negitives, you need to try a bunch...its like buying bows......

4. encoreguy

encoreguy Junior Member

What model do you shoot? Do you know if the Pro Diamond Xtreme has the rotating head? It might be a nice, less expensive (more likley to loose:Cry: ) hunting release. What head do you prefer with a loop, the caliper or the talon? I also like that you can add a strap to them (do you see a trend here about losing things). Thanks!

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

talon head....on my pro diamond:rockon:

6. dzingale

dzingale Senior Member

Take A look at the Carter 2 shot. I use for hunting and some 3d. You have your choice of springs that you can put in the release. I shoot mine with 28 pound springs and use back tension. With that much tension you cant just shoot it without getting your finger on the release and really working it.
    Good luck.

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Forget the Talon Head, get the Caliper head w/ the wrist strap. Thats what i shoot and love it! I lost one last year and bought a new one...

even better is you can normally pick them up used for around 50 bucks! (Makes it a lot less painful when you lose the 50.00 one as opposed to the 100.00 one)

8. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I use the Pro Diamond with the caliper head with a Carter adjustable round knurled knob. I don't have a wrist strap yet but that's the next thing I'm going to procure or make. I use a climber and if you drop the release you're screwed. I've been using a TRU Ball Tornado for hunting but I'm a better shot with the Pro Diamond. Can get to anchor easier I think.

Ron

9. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

That's my next purchase.. glad to know someone likes it.

10. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Oh sure... its good to know HE likes HIS but the fact that Dredly loves his isn't relevant... I'm hurt :Cry:

11. J.A.G.

J.A.G. Senior Member

Oh, Quit being a Big Baby! :Cry:

:hug:

12. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

:laugh:

Ron

13. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

I just didn't like the 'diamond' shaped trigger extension or whatever they call it. A round one is a lot more confortable and the Carter one works well...

Ron

14. MeanV2

MeanV2 Senior Member

I Love my Carter 2 Shot!!:biggrin1:

15. encoreguy

encoreguy Junior Member

Does the Pro Diamond have a head that can be rotated for proper alignment with the string loop? The catalog does not descibe it very well. I would have hunted with my Carter, but it is set very light and I was afraid that I might catch the trigger on my headnet while coming to full draw.

16. Greg / MO

Greg / MO Member

I just ordered a Carter Just Cuz + after playing with one at the Illinois Pro/Am... got a buddy who wins every shoot he enters with one. I'm hoping somehow that's gonna help me! ;) LOL

17. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

yes the head rotates......:rockon:

18. FEDIE316

FEDIE316 Junior Member

I just bought the Pro Diamond with the caliper head to use for hunting, so far I'm still trying to get used to it. I have been using the TruBall TrailBoss for awhile now which has zero trigger travel so the Pro Diamond is quite abit different but definately quieter.

19. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

I completely agree. I hate the diamond shaped trigger, the older Pro Diamonds came with a round trigger though, no clue why they changed butI shoot the round trigger and its awesome.

20. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Frankly I don;t know why they changed it.
    The Diamond shpaed one was 'slippery', if that makes any sense.
    It seemed that you needed excessive movement to get it to fire.
    Not any more with that knurled round one.

Ron