lose of poundage

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by phillip, Apr 25, 2008.

1. phillip

phillip Hog wild

I have a bow that is rated for 70# it has factory string and cables, the problem im haveing is that when i crank the bow down i cant get but about 60#, I'v had the bow for a year and have shot it about 500 times, should i try and get new string and cable? has anyone ever had this problem?
    I know im getting some creep from the cable, I'v had to have it twisted 3 times. :noidea: Thanks for any help.

2. J.C.

J.C. New Member

It's probably just string stretch. check your brace height and axle to axle measurements to see if it's out of specs.

3. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

10 lbs is a lot, are you sure it has the right limbs on it?? just wondering:noidea:

4. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Just what I was thinkin.....................I can see losing up to 5# but 10 now thats alot. Due to string stretch.:noidea:

I hope you figure it out soon. I hate shootin those girly 60# bows.:laugh:

5. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

give it a couple years:wave:

6. BowhuntnHoosier

BowhuntnHoosier Bisquit.......

Whatever wimpy..............:D

7. pred8er

pred8er He who eats fuzzy animals

+1 on the limbs. Where did you get the bow? Was it new or used?

8. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

I'm with them...sounds like limbs to me too. 10# is too much for string stretch...unless your string is broken internally...What do you guys think
    does it make any noises while shooting and like JC said check your ATA and BH...
    What Make and Model bow and how old?

9. pred8er

I think that if the string is broken internally, I wouldn't want to be shooting it! POW, right in the kisser!:dizzy: :Cry:

10. trussoni

trussoni Ninja Fighting Fool

seen that happen twice before once was me and another was a buddy. my buddy replaced his string and cable both times though it was a crack in a limb. fortunately for me mine was on a $15 garage sale bow. he wasnt so lucky.

11. rundovr

rundovr nevada hunter

bow

I shoot a diamond and it states 70lbs, but i can only get about 67, i know it it is a poor string, I am waiting on the new string, it is pre streched so My peep will stay alinged.

12. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

string strech seems to me would create a shorter brace hieght and therefore a longer draa therefore more poundage
    hummm maybe I am confused
    I am ducking over here cause i know some of you inmerciful ones are gonna dive all over this

13. phillip

phillip Hog wild

The bow is a fred bear JLC 35, made by Escalade. It shoots very smooth and very littel noise. as for how old, I bought the bow at Gander mountin a year ago, it's a solo modul cam.
    The string is factory but i had new cable installed 6 months ago, since then though I'v had to get the cable twisted 3 times due to strech and its still streching. I took the bow in yesterday to have new string and cable installed hope this helps, If not i guess I'll just have to get the new DXT Mathews:D

14. pred8er

If the problem started when you replaced the cable, what are the odds that who ever sold you the cable grabbed the wrong one and put one that is too long on you bow?:doh: Did you do it yourself or have a shop or someone else do it for you? You may want to measure it and make sure it's correct.

15. phillip

phillip Hog wild

There is a good chance the cable could be wrong, I had a shop do it for me but the guy that did it I think was new, the day i picked it up i took it home and shot it, at that time i noticed the serving on the cam was not long enough and it was cutting the cable. I took it back and had it replaced,
    That kinda made me wonder then if this guy got it right.
    I got it back in there now and now that you mention it im going to call in the morning and have them check it. Thanks for the tip...

16. pred8er

Let us know how it turns out!

17. phillip

phillip Hog wild

I got my bow back today with the new string and cable, the old cable had streched so much i could not get to 60#.
    Now it's topping out at 68# and set at 65#, so excessive cable strech can cause you to loose #####.
    I also gained 20 fps by going up to 65#....:clap2:

18. brokenarrow

brokenarrow Evil Genius

Glad it was an easy fix...:D :amen: