Making feather fletchings

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by MoSkeeter0311, Dec 3, 2007.

1. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Anyone know of any DVD's on making feather fletchings. I want to learn how to split them and make up the various designs. Never have done this but think it looks great on the finsihed product. Don't know where to start

2. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

You talking about splicing different colored fletching together? If you are ask QSA I am pretty sure he has done it. I believe he said it was a real pain to do though.:wave:

3. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Exactly... I have never worked with feathers, so I figured I might give it a try. I'm retired and with the next couple of months I seem to find myself with a lot of extra time on my hands. Trying to find a DVD as I find it easier to learn once I have seen something.

4. rpford53

rpford53 Member

Take a look at Gateway Feather's web site, I think one is listed for sell there.

5. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

6. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Thanks guys. And ECM that is exactly what I mean. Got a lot of time to kill during this time of the year and need somethiing to keep out of mischief. Bought 'em both.:noidea:

7. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

Mo, there are a couple of ways to do it. One being simply cutting through the quills, or the base of two feathers, and putting them together. The other is actually cutting the feathers off of the quill and gluing cut feathers onto that quill, which is a royal PITA.

Having said that, have fun with it. It is very tedious and time consuming, but when you get a dozen arrows finished, you will step back and say " (insert expletive here)...Those look (insert expletive here) AWESOME!!!!!!!!!"

8. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Which is YOUR way of preference? And you are right.....They do look awesome. I also do Photography AND Stained Glass so patience has become a learned virtue for me.

9. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

My preference is simply cutting through the quills, due to time restraints. Here's a tip, the best jig for fletching spliced feathers is the Bitz. The reason I say this is that each part of the feather likes to follow it's own natural curve. The Bitz jig, being metal, holds the two or more sections of feather in one smooth looking line, otherwise each section will bend on it's own, making an "m" shape, if that makes any sense.

10. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

That'll save me money. Already have the Bitz. Thanks

11. ecmbowhunter

ecmbowhunter Member

Did that make any sense about each piece of feather wanting to curve on it's own?

12. MoSkeeter0311

MoSkeeter0311 New Member

Yea, Sure did. Might just get some dowl pins to practise on. Use them to practise cresting designs and as demo designs to save. Cheaper than arrows