Morrell Targets... bad news :(

Discussion in 'General Archery Forum' started by Dredly, Dec 28, 2007.

1. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

On AT I heard that Morrell Targets were going back to the previous model of their Outdoor Range, which was arguably one of the BEST targets ever released for the price. Excellent size at 32" x 32" x14". 2 finger arrow removal and durable as hell. Even after mine has been shot thousands of times there are no dead spots and the arrows still only penetrate 4 - 5 inches.

I have shot 3 different targets of their new "Wildfire" series, which are the same size and price of the original Outdoor Range... but none of the quality. On nearly new targets I get near pass throughs, arrows get "stuck" inside and you will routinely lose inserts and points in the inner material and pulling the arrows out will often bring the stuffing strips with it and out the front... never good

So I called to confirm the rumor that they were going back to the original Outdoor Range and these rumors were denied and the sales person said without a doubt that they haven't changed the target since the early 90's when they switched from cotton to the "current" stuffing. Which is a blatant lie. I was then basically told the issue is with my arrows and oversized inserts which work without an issue in the old targets.

I cannot stress this enough. If you are looking to buy a new target STAY AWAY from the Morrell Wildfire series. They are not good targets! You will shoot through and you will have arrows getting stuck in them in no time.

Supposedly the 50,000 shot one is still okay but I have no experience with it.

2. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

thanks for the heads up............

but I have to ask, is this a personal attack on Smokes???:lol:

3. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Huh? Did I miss something? :noidea:

4. BUNNYMAN

BUNNYMAN I pray for you!

Morrell........smokes's last name......:lol: :lol:

5. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

Oh haha nope nothing against him... unless he owns Morrell Targets... in which case its directed at him! :lol:

6. Ronhop

Ronhop RIP

Dred, you just confirmed what I have bheard out there about those things...
    Junk...

Ron

7. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

If you can find the old ones they are the best targets out there. I shoot mine from 6 yards in my basement and i get about 7 to 8 inches of penetration. thats from 6 yards away into a target that is over 4 years old and has been through easily 3 1/2 years outdoors on the hill behind my house in the sun, wind, rain, and sometimes snow if I don't get it inside in time.

8. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

Now Boys
    I got 2 of the older ones and man do they last
    I have put 4 new faces on one
    just pull them puppys down from time to time and turn em upside down and shake em
    good as new
    love my Morrell targits even if i do mave my name on em:hug:

9. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

as you'll notice I've said I love the old ones, its the new style that are garbage. They stopped filling them with that white cotton like material and began using shredded fabric type stuff.

10. Holy Smokes

Holy Smokes Senior Member

tha old stuff reminds me of the quilted shirt material
    so just take all the old ones you can find and cutt em up and put em in a bag:biggrin1:

11. bullfiddle

bullfiddle Movin on up!!!

Ok Dredly you are confusing me.....:doh: :doh: Morrel still makes the range target do they not?...:noidea: Is the stuffing in those different as well? I was gonna buy a Morrell Range target in the spring...:doh:

12. Dredly

Dredly Site Guru

They make a new version of it known as the Outdoor Range Wildfire. which is the new model that people have arrows poking through the back of, getting caught on the crap inside of the target and wearing very poorly

The original Outdoor Range didn't have this problem :)

13. IChim2

IChim2 IChim2 and he's a shooter

The old one's hold up and work good just like everything else did 10-15-20yrs ago.Why?.Because quality came first back than.Marketing has learned that if you make stuff now adays that lasts for several years....some companies would have to close their doors....Todays "motto"...make it cheaper"junk" and the public will have to buy it again sooner.Our old washer/dryer lasted 17years and our new set is all ready having problems after 3 years:frusty: .